z_bill

[Dev Log] Shoehorning 3d/ where it should not bee/ Gamemaker y'see?

I'm continuing my experiment from last wizjam!

I have big ole plans for this game, but there is a secret to it all that I don't wanna reveal yet. So right now I'm just tooling around with 3d in GMS2 like a fool!

Me68bDu.gif

Here is where you find a spoocegate and must navigate a spoocemaze to get the requisite spooce. And of course we all know this to be an extended reference to OddWorld Munch's Oddysee. You knew that right...? *ahem*

I do want to finish the full project and doubt I can do so in the alotted 2 weeks, but I maaaay continue straight on after depending on how much I can get done during jamtimes.

Good luck, jamsmen!

Very cool to see your style in this 3D/voxel environment. Can't wait to get lost in those ominous labyrinthine corridors :tup:

Excited to see this continue!

You might change your HUD font slightly so the "C" is definitely not read as a "G" in SPOOCE. (Unless that is intentional?)

Thanks everyone!

Ya, that's where my mind went when I played Munch's Oddysee back in the day too! Does it actually look like a G or is it the power of suggestion? Haha! I did make the font though so it's not perfect. It's fine if they see that. I think, at the least, it's meant to be a goofy word for a thing to collect.

I should have more later today!

Game is going amazingly well. Getting lots of stuff in...but a lot of it is not showy or is kinda spoilery stuff about the mechanics/puzzles.

I think during the jam I'll be able to finish 

Spoiler

the 3d part of the game...why are you reading spoilers! 

You can now pick up and drop stuff! 

mSwa6d9.gif

It was a flute but I said "pipe" because I couldn't resist this dumb art joke (will make a little more sense in the game context).

It also looks like a key which turns into an unintentional hint!

I'm making a first person game and my first idea was to make it a graphic adventure, ha.

I still don't understand the magic of 3D in GameMaker, but your color palette and lighting here are so good.

Yeah I'm still in awe of anyone that can do 3D in GMS. I love the look of this! And that is totally not a pipe by the way (hur hur).

Ok ok...I gotta get rolling on this.

Here is a bone sea! 

Hx6QhZg.gif

Also this tower is involved in some mysterious way...

Mpo2vPz.png

I won't finish this by the deadline, but may be trying to wake up the #wizardjam community in a few weeks/months time for a release at a decidedly non-Wizard time...As I'm into this right now, and want to finish it!

12 hours ago, phill said:

And that is totally not a pipe by the way (hur hur).

Ha, yeah...my joke there is basically: "Art!....get it?" and I have no idea why or even if it's a real joke, but I can't not do it. A slave to art, me.

er....is it weird to keep posting here if I seemingly have no respect for the actual Wizard Jam dates anymore, haha? I guess this game is connected to the jam, even when the jam isn't happening?

Here's a robot in a rowboat.

valhBAS.gif

Is that robot made of 2D sprites that were rendered off of a voxel model? The effect is kind of unsettling and awesome.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, nkornek said:

Is that robot made of 2D sprites that were rendered off of a voxel model? The effect is kind of unsettling and awesome.

That's right! The rowboat and robot (and the skulls/bones) are 2d sprites made in a voxel program, Magicka3d, which is also where I made the 3d models I imported for the walls, non-roboted rowboat, dock, etc. 

I'll keep posting here and may actually be pretty close to a release!