atte

[Release] Dog Cobbler and the Secret of the Kenkälusikka

Great art :tup:

I love those little details, often much more fun to work on than core gameplay/features.

https://atteo.itch.io/dogcobbler

Main things missing are those story/intro images and music that my friend made, but otherwise I'm really happy with it already.

Some of my friends tested it and got through, let me know if you find all the shoehorn pieces or where did you get stuck.

Good stuff as usual, Atte! :)

Spoiler

I got all the shoes but I couldn't figure out either of the musical puzzles. Pretty sure I'm replicating the sounds of the birds just fine but nothing happens.

4 hours ago, Henke said:

Good stuff as usual, Atte! :)

Reveal hidden contents

I got all the shoes but I couldn't figure out either of the musical puzzles. Pretty sure I'm replicating the sounds of the birds just fine but nothing happens.

Thanks!

Spoiler

The melody puzzles should be working correctly (there's actually a third one also), I do suspect that those kind of note/sound miming challenges might be a bit awkward for many players. The ending is not anything very special right now so you don't miss much if you just collect all the shoes and the two non-melody shoehorn parts.

This was a great experience. Thank you @atte!

Spoiler

I got everything but one last shoehorn bit. I'm guessing it has something to do with the cat bell room, but I couldn't figure out what I needed to do there. I also played Mary Had a Little Lamb in one of the areas and found it quite amusing.

3 hours ago, theschap said:

This was a great experience. Thank you @atte!

Hide contents

I got everything but one last shoehorn bit. I'm guessing it has something to do with the cat bell room, but I couldn't figure out what I needed to do there. I also played Mary Had a Little Lamb in one of the areas and found it quite amusing.

Nice, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Spoiler

You have to bomb the cat bell to hear the puzzle melody. Maybe adding a little sound effect when touching the bell just normally would make it a bit clearer.

Nice game, I liked the puzzles! Didn't quite get the cat bell though

Spoiler

even when listening to it a dozen times. Wasn't even sure if there were 3 or 4 notes

1 hour ago, jmolenaar said:

Nice game, I liked the puzzles! Didn't quite get the cat bell though

Hide contents

even when listening to it a dozen times. Wasn't even sure if there were 3 or 4 notes

Thank you for playing, yeah the bell is probably the trickiest thing in there.

edit: Oh and as a general note you can drop down from those thin jump through platforms by pressing down, it might make navigating the room a bit easier.

Spoiler

It's a fast 4 note melody. There's not many possible platforms to play a note on so at least trying out different versions is fast(ish), I know one of my friends solved it accidentally (which is not ideal of course :P)

I really liked the music puzzles!

Spoiler

I ran past the owl many times before I put on the shoes to hear them hooting. It was a great surprise. I couldn't figure out how to get the green shoes though.

2 hours ago, RKSanders said:

I really liked the music puzzles!

Hide contents

I ran past the owl many times before I put on the shoes to hear them hooting. It was a great surprise. I couldn't figure out how to get the green shoes though.

^_^

Spoiler

For a long time during the development the melody shoes always just played horn notes in every screen. I made them copy the clue sound to make the situation clearer but it also made the game a bit funnier and surprising (I sampled actual owl and puffin noises from some youtube nature videos).

The green shoes are pretty cool so I'm going to hint and reveal how to get them.

Spoiler

You have to solve the hat puzzle in the second overground screen, solution is hinted in another screen.

Spoiler

The mural in the casle tells to cover the guys' eyes while keeping the dogs' eyes open.

A very neat adventure. I liked the different movement types for some of the boots, especially the 'magic' boots' auto-jump and forced movement. I managed to get the cat puzzle piece by just trying solutions, but I couldn't figure out the puffin puzzle.

Spoiler

It seemed like I would have to jump up to the top part of the room twice, but doing so would interrupt the note boots' sequence with the other boots' sounds, so I'm not sure if I was on the right track. The three steps at the bottom where also a bit hard to tell apart.

3 hours ago, Teljoor said:

A very neat adventure. I liked the different movement types for some of the boots, especially the 'magic' boots' auto-jump and forced movement. I managed to get the cat puzzle piece by just trying solutions, but I couldn't figure out the puffin puzzle.

Hide contents

It seemed like I would have to jump up to the top part of the room twice, but doing so would interrupt the note boots' sequence with the other boots' sounds, so I'm not sure if I was on the right track. The three steps at the bottom where also a bit hard to tell apart.

Thanks! In retrospect I could have done much more with the different movement abilities. There could have been pretty interesting platforming sections combining bomb jumps, steam hover and auto-movement.

About the puffin room:

Spoiler

You can (and have to in the puffin room) change boots between the played notes. I predicted this might cause players to feel uncertain about the solution but I like the added step that's required.

Nick played through this yesterday, besides the accidental resets (I had forgotten the 'R' to restart that I used while testing was even there) it was super fun to watch and see Nick's and the chat's reactions.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/462074713?t=00h31m15s