keibo

[Dev Log] Heely Kids

Hey all, after a 2 year game making hiatus I am back :lol:

My game is going to be based on Chris's endorsement on "Sliding down the stairs on your heels as a kid (or something)" where you have to slide down the stairs on your heels(duh!). The game mechanic is going to be something like the grinding sections in a tony hawk(tm)  game where you need to keep your balance whilst sliding down the stairs without falling backwards/forwards etc. leaning too much in any direction will cause you to fall and lose your points/multiplier and you need to avoid slipping on toys or getting spotted by your parent.

I will try my best to update this thread as I go along :) 

My first goals will be making the sliding and leaning mechanics so hopefully will have something to show soon.

Posted (edited)

First day update!

Had a couple of hours to get some things going, some of the basics are in though which is great :).

The player launches themselves from the starting platform (this will be the top of the staircase when I actually design it somewhat) then they will slide down the stairs and can move side to side or jump in order to avoid misplaced objects on the stairs (TODO). The leaning forwards and backwards is in, but I need to make the angle relate to speed but I don't think that will be too difficult. I also need to add fluctuations to the tilt so that it becomes harder to maintain it and ultimately a falling over mechanic if the tilt goes over a certain amount leading to you having to restart the level, or possibly just lose the score multiplier or something along those lines...

Overall I'm happy with the progress for today, and I'm looking forward to adding the rest of the basic mechanics and score system during this weekend so that I can then focus on making more interesting level layouts and possibly the models...possibly...lol

Heely Kids super duper early prototype

Edited by keibo
removing attached video for youtube link instead...

Another update!

Worked quite a bit on Saturday, but Sunday was very hectic IRL to allow me to get round to doing any Jamming.

Today has been very productive though. The following is now in:

• some UI elements are now in place: Everybody loves getting points!!
  • Jump mechanic now uses a release style system so jumps can be held for bigger jumps or pressed quickly for short hops (needs tweaking)
  • Player tilt is now visualized (temp art style for now, might be removed at final release... possibly... (probably not... :blink:))
  • "Fail State", tilting too much causes the player to "fall" and effectively locks you in a slide until you get to the bottom of the stairs
  • "Tricks" are now displayed whilst they happen (these will eventually get you the big points later on!)
  • Obstacle prototype which will cause you to tumble, reducing speed, also, this will eventually affect your score (remove trick bonus or something like that)

Also, @Mythalore is now also collaborating with me on the project :D wohoo!

And a second short video... subject to change... :lol:

Thanks Zirrus!

Today has been a bit of a slower day, I did manage to get the first iteration of my tilt randomization going so the further the player leans in either direction the greater the random tilt effect. Also I prepped some code to allow for right-angled turning for the time being, just needs testing, but this might change altogether after we get some actual level designs done and it stops looking like a slide :lol:

1 hour ago, RKSanders said:

Ball slide! LoL.

Shh no one was supposed to notice that :blink: it's a special move of sorts...

Seriously though I've renamed it :lol: