theschap

Barbie's Trashed Dreamhouse

Hey all!

With the new endorsements theme I have decided to go with Jake's endorsement of the Barbie Trashes Her Dreamhouse gallery by artist Carrie M. Becker. It's really an incredible group of exhibits and I urge you to check it out.

As far as a game goes, I have decided to do a first person exploration type game where you roam around Barbie's Dreamhouse and navigate the hordes of trash. I want to try to capture the clutter, and claustrophobia of a real Barbie horde of junk. 

With the time allotted I have decided to keep it in it's clean plastic mint as unwrapping and texturing all that stuff would be tough. I would like to add some physics to the whole thing as well, but we will see how that plays out. Hopefully in hilarious and dramatic failure.

I am away all weekend so I have been working on the dreamhouse over the last few nights. Here is where I'm at so far.

wipHouse2.PNG.f61bc2264b7b2b29782ed81e284f493e.PNG

Good luck to everyone this weekend, and I'll see you later!

I'm just about finished with the house model. I'm cleaning up some railings and windows yet, which require some alpha mask stuff. Also the proportions of Barbie are surprisingly difficult to replicate with a first person controller, but I think I got her moving through doorways and such appropriately now.

I think I am going to tackle some logic before I get deep into props production as I think I am going to want a system that is easy for just dropping new props into before I have a bunch of them to work with.

EarlyTour.gif.39a75cf44dcc07e61cde33627f410dc4.gif

As we near the end of the first week of the jam, I've been working on some logic for the game. This included things like physics objects, and the elevator to take you between the different floors. This isn't the most fire safe way to traverse the dream house, but it's as @Travis said "it is as architect Barbie intended".

Elevator.gif.e7310cf8530ffc9b31b63e91c2ce0180.gif

I have decided to push off polishing the way the elevator works right now as it's functional. I am basically moving the elevator collider at a pace that the player controller still recognizes it as a step so it brings her upstairs. It's a smoother ride on the way down, but going up is a jarring experience.

I have had a lot of good recommendations via Slack for handing this in Unity:

• @Travis "You could use rigidbody.MovePosition() to move the stuff while holding it, but when it had a collision, set it free."
  • @Dinosaursssssss "... for a jam, making it kinematic and setting its position is probably the way to go"
  • @Zirrrus "The way I've seen it done is attaching the rigidbody to a point fixed relative to you via a physics spring. That way you get nice springiness while carrying it(conveying an object's weight) and it can interact with other physics stuff."
  • @Synnah "I would do this by setting a flag whenever the player is on the platform (you could do collision checks to test this, or set up a volume), and then whenever the platform moves, also apply that same movement to the player."
I hope I captured everyone's advice. :)

This weekend I am going to focus on content content CONTENT! This means building lots of props to populate the house and I might delve into plastic shaders!

Thanks again everyone for your advice and I wish a good jamming weekend upon you all!

This looks great! I loved that exhibit when I first heard of it, so I think it'd be so cool to be able to walk around in it. You should tag the artist somehow once you're done!

The advice from the Slack is top notch. :tup:

I just got my entry submitted to Itch. I still want to iron out some physics stuff, and add a bunch more props. I would also like to get some more sound, particularity sounds that the toy made, and some better materials in there. Other than that it has the basics for what I wanted to get in there.

I ended up  doing a combination of a physics spring and some Force.Impulse stuff. When the spring is created the length of it is confined to the distance that the objects are apart. I didn't want to be too strict on pickup distances on objects so when an object is too far away, I push it towards me, and then once it hits a certain threshold it is held through the physics spring. This worked well to give a grabbing feeling for things like doors and drawers, and also let you pull things off of a counter/table/floor.

If anyone has feedback on it let me know!

It was more of a "Barbie Empties Her Dreamhouse" for me, I got everything but one table and a railing out.

dreamdesert.thumb.jpg.f46f897dc727d14721991898d98a0f41.jpg

The ad-like title screen was a fun idea!
Restart/reset option would be good... or maybe it's a valuable life lesson, you have to deal with the mess you've made.
Crouching would be nice (if it doesn't mess up with the collisions too much).

Ability to throw objects forward, even a small bit, would be fun. Though just being able to drop stuff keeps it less chaotic and maybe makes it more laborious in a fitting way.
Slowly lifting heavy objects up and dropping them down was oddly satisfying.
Occasional glitchiness just kind of fits the chaotic nature (once I accidentally clipped myself from the second to the third floor (speed run strats))

There was already lots of details and stuff to play with. I will mess around with this again if there will be more objects in the updates (...also I started imagining frustrated character grunts as I was "cleaning" the house).

It might not be specially planned aspect but I really like strange atmosphere created by the contrast between cramped indoors and the vast endless desert outside. Speaking of the outside, the invisible walls make sense but I would have liked to wander off into the horizon in the end, leaving the cursed dream house behind me forever.

Speaking of glitches, I tried lifting a table while I was on top of it, and...

Dreamhoard.gif?dl=1

:D

15 minutes ago, Henke said:

Speaking of glitches, I tried lifting a table while I was on top of it, and...

Dreamhoard.gif?dl=1

:D

That just means the game is ready for speedruns

Thanks for the feedback @atte! My partner has been telling me I should put a dumpster outside or something for people to throw stuff into. I have also been considering a mechanic where you would be able to spawn and throw items to a certain degree. I hope I can get that in before showcase weekend.

@Henke Haha! I never tried doing that! 

Haha, I immediately started throwing everything outside too. I think you've got the coolest Gobbler. . . I'm sorry.

Good Job!