Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Game Pass

Seems like we might need a thread to talk about Game Pass and the games on it since so many of us are using it.

I was pretty much uninterested in it until they offered 3 months of Game Pass for $1. They totally got me. I'm playing Vampyr and Outer Wilds because the low investment allows me to excercise my curiousity. I haven't enjoyed every game I've downloaded, but since the investment is diversified it is fine. I wasn't a fan of Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown 3, Masterchief Collection, Samurai Showdown II.

I did enjoy playing Abzu to completion.

Yeah I also picked it up when it was cheap. Got it until mid-September for just 2€. I'm on PC.

I've played:

Void Bastards - loved it. My GOTY so far.

Wolfenstein 2 - I'm playing this right now. Liking it a lot. The writing maybe isn't great, but it sure isn't boring either. Some of the most insane plot-developments I've experienced in a game in a while. :D

Sea of Thieves - I've done a couple sessions with a buddy, and I like it a lot, especially the sailing.

Forza Horizon 4 - played a bunch of this when I tried the gamepass briefly last year. Wonderful driving physics.

Also poked a bit at Metro Exodus, Gears 4, State of Decay 2, and Recoil, but they didn't do much for me.

Next I'm gonna play The Messenger and Astroneer. Maybe I'll give Vampyr a go too.

Should I play Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) before I play Wolfenstein 2?

I loved DOOM 2016, I played Titanfall 2's campaign recently, and I heard Wolfenstein was funny and fun. Is it an FPS campaign worth playing through? Would it be more fun to jump directly to Wolfenstein 2?

Yeah TNO was great, play it! TNC does have an extensive recap at the start, but I'd say you'll appreciate some of the character stuff more if you've played the first one.

My current recommendations:

For the King

Moonlighter

The Banner Saga trilogy

Neon Chrome

Void Bastards

Old Man's Journey

Descenders

Steam World Dig 2

Ashen

Recore

Mutant Year Zero

Thinking about resubscribing but it has become hard to justify again now that I'm not getting some incredible multi-month deal. Every time I'm about to do it, I decide I can just play Overwatch for free.

13 hours ago, twmac said:

Isn't the exploit something that Microsoft are advertising?

Buying 3 years of a subscription service in bulk was not appealing to me since I don't use Xbox Gold.
But after reading this message I got an ad for two months of Ultimate for $2 so... thanks? I'm a low-capital kinda guy.

I isn't clear to me whether or not you can go back to regular gamepass after subscribing to Ultimate, so I just went with that and found out they have a 3 months for $10 deal which is pretty much what I was hoping for.

I didn't realize Slay the Spire is on console. Looking forward to trying it out.

Ah, makes sense - for me I already use Xbox Live Gold all the time so paying an extra dollar to get game pass was a no-brainer.

There is lots of new stuff coming right now that is worth checking out, I barely have time to play it all.

Slay the Spire allows for much more strategic and tactical choices than I expected.

Yoku's Island Express is very much not my thing; it feels like a game made for people who don't like pinball who want to like pinball. But they removed a lot of what makes pinball enjoyable. Learning a playfield is a huge part of the game, the way Yoku's moves you around constantly feels so bloated and boring for me. I never get a feel for the playfield. And you can't dead-flipper pass. I could have ended up eventually buying Yoku's in a Steam sale so gamepass is doing a great job for me.