Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

SGDQ 2019

SUMMER GAMES DONE QUICK 2019

June 23rd - 30th

Courtesy of @SecretAsianMan, a brief description: Games Done Quick is a series of charity video game marathons with events in the winter and summer. Speedrunners from all over come together in one place and stream a nonstop barrage of high-level gameplay. This summer's event benefits Doctors without Borders. Tune in to see some games getting completely taken apart. The runs will eventually be archived if you can't see it live.

Schedule

Twitch

YouTube

Thanks for making this Ben.  I've been too busy/forgetful/other excuse lately to remember SGDQ had started.  I doubt I'll have time to watch much, either now or later.  As such I probably won't be making my usual public playlist of runs but someone else is more than welcome to.

There's a list of twitch times for the runs here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/c3tjzg/sgdq_vod_thread_2019/

I guess they'll all be put up on YouTube by the official channel at some point. I watched 4 and got a mixed bag: Split/Second and Last Action Hero were obnoxious, Quake seemed to this layperson like 17 minutes of someone missing strats, and the Super Mario World blind relay race was incredibly impressive and nail-bitingly tense.

The runs are almost all up already on the YouTube channel.  They've been doing a remarkable job these last couple years of putting them up just a day after the run.  I've watched a handful in chunks, the ones that standout to me so far are

Super Mario World Blind Race - seconding what Ben said, really close race with lots of excitement

Grand Poo World 2 - an amazing run of one the hardest, if not THE hardest Super Mario World rom hacks out there

Link to the Past + Super Metroid randomizer - a co-op run with some great couch commentary. I was literally brought to tears at one point I was laughing so hard

Divekick - a race through the game's story mode between a CEO and EVO champ.  It's short and sweet

If anyone is still looking for good runs to watch, I highly recommend the Wii Punch-out Blindfold run.  The runner, Zallard1, has previously done blindfolded runs of Mike Tyson's Punch-out and Super Punch-out at other GDQs.  This Wii run completes the trifecta and is probably the most impressive one. 

Spoiler

He not only beats his estimate and personal best by a significant margin, he doesn't lose a single match, something he was not expecting at all.