Sign in to follow this  
Derek

The Cutdown Episode 4: Starting a Trailer

The Cutdown 4

Starting a Trailer

In this episode Derek and Ric talk about their process for starting a new trailer project from breaking down a film or game, searching for music, and coming up with ideas. We also talk about recent Golden Trailer Award winners John Wick 3, A Star is Born, and the latest trailer for the Hideo Kojima game Death Stranding.

Trailers Discussed: John Wick 3, A Star is Born, Death Stranding, The Davinci Code, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Scooby Doo, American Sniper, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, Annabelle Creation, Ford vs Ferrari, The Muppets.

If you have questions or comments please send them to [email protected].

I ended up a theater for the first time in a while and enjoyed the trailer to Crawl a surprising amount. Lots of the percussive sound design you guys have been talking about, and I noticed that it doesn't actually reveal what the monster is for a bit. I think it was this cut in particular:

It was in the middle of actually 20 minutes of other trailers I enjoyed significantly less, so I'm feeling like I need to find a new place to watch movies.

Haha that Crawl trailer shows off SO much of the movie, but it does have lots of fancy editing. I don't really have any desire to see it, but I still kind of wish it showed less.

Some of the artsier movie theaters tend to show fewer trailers, but big chains like AMC definitely do show what feels like 20-30 minutes of trailers.