Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 45: Rami Ismail

Designer Notes 45:

Designer Notes 45

Rami Ismail
In this episode, Soren and Leyla Johnson interview independent game developer Rami Ismail of Vlambeer, best known for his work on Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers, and Nuclear Throne. They discuss why he started a company with someone he couldn’t stand, how to make games in a place without electricity, and why the world “inclusivity” can still be exclusionary.

Games discussed: StarCraft, Urban Assault, Final Fantasy XV, Nier: Automata, Star Wraith, Evochron, Super Crate Box, Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers, Nuclear Throne

Rami has a very interesting story, but man, if I was his partner at Vlambeer, I would NOT be pleased.  He really went in on the guy.  It was a little uncomfortable to listen to at times.

I heard some humming at the end of the podcast. Either someone had vibrating phone near the microphone, or there is some Morse Code information that was secretly transmitted to us ;) . I'm really interested how the time spend on prototype can be translated to the time spend on final product. That can be very helpful when planing a production. 

Great episode, thanks for sharing!

On 10/06/2019 at 6:23 PM, GavinTheAlmighty said:

Rami has a very interesting story, but man, if I was his partner at Vlambeer, I would NOT be pleased.  He really went in on the guy.  It was a little uncomfortable to listen to at times.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't feel this way at all. He was quite open and honest about the differences in personality between himself and JW. What he described was a partnership that worked because of how different the two of them are. I think this level of awareness and honesty about yourself plus those you work with is extremely important, and can be very helpful when communicating and collaborating. Nothing I heard seemed unfair, and I feel he did a good job of expressing his perspective while still being respectful.