Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead Episode 469: Imperator

Three Moves Ahead 469:

Three Moves Ahead 469

Imperator: Rome
Rob, TJ, and Jon are not quite sure what to make of Imperator: Rome, the latest historical grand strategy game from Paradox Development Studio. Should a Hellenistic warlord have such fine control over demographics? Is there much to do beyond empire-building? On the other hand, when the eagles are marching, does there need to be?

Imperator: Rome

The episode link directs the listener to the Idlethumbs forum instead of this thread.

I find it unfortunate how Troy won't be able to discuss the game. Would love to see his take on it. And poor Fraser wasn't able to be on it. Sad.

Anyone else bugged by Rob's pronunciation "Em-per-rat-er?"   I always thought it was "Em-peer-a-tor"

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's regional, or maybe it's common mistake vs knowledgeable nerd.  Don't know

Good episode.

I'm waiting for UI improvements mostly and thus not playing the game. But I consider it a good game, probably on par with EU4. Sad to see a lot of negativity about it among the public.

Been out of the loop recently as I don't have a good podcast habit anymore (no more commute), but has to come back for this episode. Really cool discussion guys.

I'm basically of the same mind as you - there were bits I liked, bits I was disappointed with but overall I had a fun time and are looking forward to seeing how they built on it. I weighted my disappointed more in my own review though because I really felt that it wasn't unreasonable to want a bit better from this game - even from a launch state. Like I was very disappointed with how Rome was handled, by and large, and there was a noticeable lack of character.

Good stuff!

A bit of a disappointing episode I thought... you guys took over an hour to say "It's a Paradox game, so it shares many of its mechanics with other Paradox games, and like every other Paradox game, is a little lacking on release, but will no doubt offer a deeper, richer and broader experience as it expands over the years". Isn't this exactly what we'd expect? And you somehow missed given (m)any actual details that would be specific to the game. For example:

- what time period does it cover (from the discussion, I'm guessing it doesn't yet cover the kingdom, or have the mechanics to support the late Empires? Would make sense that they'd add this as DLC.

- are you playing as a character, like CK2? Sounded like it's more like EU (which I haven't played).

- do you recommend picking it up now? Or should am I better sticking with CK2, buying a Stellaris bundle, and waiting a year or so?

:P

It would be great to get an interview with the dev team, to find out more about their plans for the future. Or get Troy on to chat about it in his professional capacity (assuming he still works for the man)

On 01/06/2019 at 10:57 PM, riadsala said:

Or get Troy on to chat about it in his professional capacity (assuming he still works for the man)

Troy did just that on the Single Malt Strategy podcast last month.