Sign in to follow this  
Gormongous

I Wish I Could(n't) Quit You: Video Games that Just Don't Click

21 hours ago, tabacco said:

You never know... I still have minimal interest in the combat sections of that game, but playing it as a purely open-world exploration adventure, it gave me plenty of fun. Figuring out how to sneak around mobs to unlock fast-travel towers or get past mountain ranges turned into a kind of weird meta-puzzle that I enjoyed more than I expected.

The thing I feel like would turn me off is all the additional systems in the game I'd have to deal with, like weather and food and gear.  On paper they might sound interesting but in almost every game that has them I end up annoyed rather than entertained.

I mean you could also be totally right but these days my time and budget are limited so I'm much less willing to risk getting something on the chance I'd like it and stick to something I have fewer reservations about.

3 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

The thing I feel like would turn me off is all the additional systems in the game I'd have to deal with, like weather and food and gear.  On paper they might sound interesting but in almost every game that has them I end up annoyed rather than entertained.

I mean you could also be totally right but these days my time and budget are limited so I'm much less willing to risk getting something on the chance I'd like it and stick to something I have fewer reservations about.

At least the food isn't a survival mechanism. It's basically just a health refill, plus maybe a temporary boost to some stats.

But yeah, I get it. One nice thing about the Switch for me has been the portability and the system-level mandate that games support preserving their state when you put the console to sleep. It makes it easier to play things for a little bit at a time.

20 hours ago, tabacco said:

At least the food isn't a survival mechanism. It's basically just a health refill, plus maybe a temporary boost to some stats.

But yeah, I get it. One nice thing about the Switch for me has been the portability and the system-level mandate that games support preserving their state when you put the console to sleep. It makes it easier to play things for a little bit at a time.

I love the idea of being able to play in bite size chunks on the go.  But as someone who lives in the suburbs with no access to public transportation and works in an office in the middle of nowhere I'm forced to drive everywhere so portability is just not a factor for me.

Admittedly I think I'd love if the Wii U supported an instant-on save state but I've found that after about 25 hours, my sessions average an hour or so at a time, so something is clearly working for me! 

Am concerned at the growing list of quests that I don't know if I'll ever be bothered to attempt. But I love the freedom that gives me.