Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

'Lair Of The Clockwork God' (Size Five Games) - PC, Mac, Switch, XBox, Playstation

Announcing the latest Dan And Ben game: Lair Of The Clockwork God, out now on Windows, Linux, Mac (Steam & GOG), Switch, XBox One, and PS4/5!

“A brilliant, joyous, clever and generous experience.”
4.5/5 – ThumbSticks

“This is a gag delivery device with a seriously good hit rate”
83% – PC Gamer

“Great mash-up of indie platforming and classic adventuring.”
8/10 – TheSixthAxis

On Steam
On GOG
On Steam bundled with the first two Dan & Ben games at an overall discount
Nintendo Switch
XBox One

Comes with FREE visual novel prequel, Devil's Kiss!

Please wishlist/buy/review/promote!

Watched the trailer now (I also look at trailers), and it looks great! Good job, you guys, brillo.

Sadly, I do not have Steam or anything PC related when it comes to games, or else I would wishlist it.

I loved the first game a lot, I played it in a hostel in Budapest over a week of beer and takeaway food, and will always fondly remember it.

Aw, thanks :) Hopefully at some point in the future either you'll get a PC or it will come out on other platforms!

Additional news: episode 2 of our awful 'cast is now up, same link as before!

Wow! Trailer is really cool, also started listening to the podcast.

Looks great! Will rewatch on bigger screen later. Can’t wait for the release.

Released!

“A brilliant, joyous, clever and generous experience.”
4.5/5 – ThumbSticks
“This is a gag delivery device with a seriously good hit rate”
83% – PC Gamer
“Great mash-up of indie platforming and classic adventuring.”
8/10 – TheSixthAxis

Thanks!

A few more reviews came in: 100% - City AM, 90% - Buried Treasure, 80% - Edge, 80% - Slant, Bestest Bests – RockPaperShotgun

And we got to over 100 user reviews, all but one of them positive.

The FEAR level was brilliant! The last puzzle almost had me reaching for a walkthrough until I remembered that EXAMINING inventory might be useful.

You can't have made all these levels in just a few months, right? So when you did the podcast in the bubble bath or something and talked about writing, you already had a functioning prototype? Would love to consume some behind the scenes on this, haven't looked for it yet, maybe after I finish the game.

Yeah, when we were in the hot-tub we were on a dialogue-writing retreat, a lot of the game was built already. We've been working on this for years!

Oh damn, the amount of rather clever gameplay jokes in this is pretty amazing. Just my two favourites so far:

FEELING OLD spoiler:

There was probably a solution to get into the gun store, but instead I found the other way where I had to go outside this game for the solution.

Everything before SUFFERING spoiler. Don't look at this to soon, I think it's actually one of the greates moments in any game I've played in a while:

The thing that I so far thought was for sure a BUG in the game, ended up being a feature. That was such a great discovery, and the solution came to me really quickly, I think because it happens so much earlier in the game! Great work!

On 3/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, Ben X said:

LOTCG, Justin McElroy's favourite smaller game of 2020 so far, is now available for Mac and Linux, and on GOG too!

On Steam
On GOG
On Steam bundled with the first two Dan & Ben games at an overall discount

Okay, I'll shut up about it again until we get on another store or platform!

As threatened: LOTCG will be out on Switch and XBox One on September 4th!

Pre-order now and get 15% off! (Not all regions have it up on the webstore yet, so you might have to go via your console.)

Nintendo Switch
XBox One

Holy crap, my account still works!

I'd just like to chime in and say that this is possibly my favourite game this year (grabbed the Switch version)!

However, I think I've hit a bug, I'm trying to do a platformy bit just after interacting with the brain and there's one of those black blocks with red spikes on. 

If I shoot it then the spikes disappear as expected but if I die and have to do it again then the spikes never retract when shot at! 

I keep having to reload a save!

Thanks!

I saw someone tweeting at Dan about this, was that you? If not, please email support at ant-workshop dot com with details and, if possible, reproduction steps! Hopefully in the meantime restarting from your last autosave will fix it...

In what might be the final update for this thread, I'm happy to announce that LOTCG is now available on PS4. According to Greg Rice, it also works on PS5!

To justify the thread bump a little more, here's a joke mock-up video I made of a 'CD special edition' version of LOTCG with a couple of animations I made for Artober bunged in: