Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 464: Dota 2 Auto Chess

Three Moves Ahead 464:

Three Moves Ahead 464

Dota 2 Auto Chess
Here's the word cloud for this week's episode: Dota2, mod, sports management, Lords Management, battle royale, open world survival game with roguelike elements (jk but we need that SEO), deckbuilding, tower defense. That's right, we're talking about the mod for the game that's a copy of a mod for another game that has nothing to do with either of the things in its title: Dota 2 Auto Chess. Auto Chess is Dota 2 mod that you can play right now, for free. It's taking the world by storm, and it contains a satisfying combination of team management and long-term strategy. Rob, Rowan, and Taylor Cocke talk us through what the heck it is, how it works, and why Taylor seems to like it so very much. Also, a surprising amount of basketball commentary.

Dota2, Auto Chess

OK, so I've been hearing about auto-chess for about a month but upon hearing your long form description I almost immediately thought of some of the more advanced tower defense mods of Warcraft 3. Specifically Elemental Tower Defense and Tower Defense Wars (video and some descriptions linked below), and since I was way more active in the days of Starcraft Broodwar and War3 in User Map Settings land I am pretty confident that most of the game components you've described come from there (with still more coming from the Elite Marine game style)

- Gaining gold by killing mobs and for a clean sheet at the end of the round. Potential for interest at end of round on monies not spent during the round.

- Upgrade paths in different tower classes (or in auto-chess hero choice paths). Potential to go hard into a class or mix up to 3 classes

- Mostly a solo game battling the waves, but some ability to interact across players 

- RNG element and other player choices means that no two games are ever the same.

- Addictive as hell

Anyways, loved the show and maybe I'll give this mod a try since I haven't touched Dota in over a year at this point. This is all from memory, but if this isn't the first iteration of an Auto-Chess style game then it's got to be one of the earliest.

https://forums.eletd.com/topic/945-basics-of-element-td/

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Elite_marine