Erkki

Extraordinary League of Gentlemen

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I totally recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet :tup:

"Nautilus?"

"Nautiloy!"

And why did Sean Connery ever accept the role? I lost all respect for him.

It's 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', no?

And yes, it's crap. I hate most movies, to be honest. There are really few GOOD ones.

It's 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', no?

It doesn't deserve to be spelled correctly.

And yes, it's crap. I hate most movies, to be honest. There are really few GOOD ones.

Same here. Although I've missed some of the good ones too. Usually the film festivals here are at a bad time for me, when school is the busiest.

Seriously though. I used to be so easy to please when I was little. I loved Batman and Robin for Christ' Sake.

Now, the only time my jaw drops in the cinema is when I'm asleep.

Something else; I Hate Movies Critics Love. I felt stupid for going to see Frigid Jones Diary, but I went anyway because I was told it was good. I hate Chick Flicks in general, but this was something else. The Critics loved Lost in Translation, too. Let me tell you something about Critics. Critics are full of shit. And so is Lost in Translation.

I must be its advocate here though. I will not have you squander the name of that precious movie of which ilk there should be many more.

Anyway, I thought LXG was a mediocre movie that was entertaining enough if you had the right set of mind. But the ending was so crappy it gave me a bad aftertaste.

And why did Sean Connery ever accept the role? I lost all respect for him.

That's stupid, don't lose respect for him. He's a huge fan of Alan Moore's comics, and rightfully so. He really pushed that movie to be made, but then when he realized it was going to suck he got in huge arguments with the director. He had to finish the movie, obviously, but he wasn't happy about it. In fact, there were several interviews in which he denounced the movie and recommended people to read the comics instead.

That's stupid, don't lose respect for him. He's a huge fan of Alan Moore's comics, and rightfully so. He really pushed that movie to be made, but then when he realized it was going to suck he got in huge arguments with the director. He had to finish the movie, obviously, but he wasn't happy about it. In fact, there were several interviews in which he denounced the movie and recommended people to read the comics instead.

At the same time, though, bear in mind that he spends all his time complaining about the need for, and the lack of, Scottish independence from the UK. I could cope with this, but he doesn't actually live in Scotland - he lives on some tropical island out in the Carribean...

Ok fine, so feel free to lose respect for him for that reason if you feel so inclined. I'm merely defending him in regards to the League movie.

As for Connery losing respect for the movie himself... I remember cringing in embarrassment for Sarah Michelle Gellar whenever she tried to convince people that she thought Scooby Doo was awesome.

At the same time, though, bear in mind that he spends all his time complaining about the need for, and the lack of, Scottish independence from the UK. I could cope with this, but he doesn't actually live in Scotland - he lives on some tropical island out in the Carribean...

If I lived in San Francisco and was a famous video game designer and was married to Simon Pegg and Ricky Gervais and spent every weekend when I wasn't working down in Double Fine at the cinema with my good friends, Tim Schafer from the office and Tim Canterbury from The Office, while basking in the comfort of knowing that Liberals were in office and George Bush was dead... I would still send letters back to my family in Ireland, whining about Northern Ireland still being part of the UK. Only e-mails instead of letters, and also my family would live in Canada by then. Oh, and also I don't care about Northern Ireland. But if I did, I mean.

I must be its advocate here though. I will not have you squander the name of that precious movie of which ilk there should be many more.

No way. It had some beautiful directing and a nice concept, but it was the most incredibly boring movie to watch ever. There were about three parts I liked enough to keep me watching it. Oh, and also, Bill Murray is awesome.

Is anybody else dreading Garfield the Movie?

Oh man. Reason #1 why it blows when your in-laws have bad taste in movies - the movie you couldn't pay me to take the effort to name, but which is the topic of this conversation. It was some holiday, I forget which, and rightfully so. I wasn't going to sit at the opposite side of the house, so I was in the same room; but I did at least have the nerve to take the laptop with me and said I had to get some work done (which happened to be a terrible tournament for a terrible game that Gamespy hosted - but even that was preferable). The first third of the movie, I was praying that it would maintain the poor quality of a generic action flick.

Now, to my knowledge, Venice was never destroyed, or whatever city took it in the bum in that movie... After that, it went downhill faster than a lemming off a cliff. It ranks right up there with Charlie's Angels 2, Barb Wire, and You Got Served.

Yufster: If you wanna see a boring movie, watch Citizen Kane. Lost in Translation may have been slow, but never boring. But I'm totally biased because I'm not just a Murray-nut, but also a Japan-nut. Bill Murray is awesome. We should have a Bill Murray-avatar that we use to award comic excellence in a post with.

I'm not dreading Garfield, because there's no way I'll ever take the effort to see it. It's as simple as that.

No way. It had some beautiful directing and a nice concept, but it was the most incredibly boring movie to watch ever. There were about three parts I liked enough to keep me watching it. Oh, and also, Bill Murray is awesome.
So you admit it was skillfully made but it's full of shit because you found it boring? I think most people who saw it (myself included) found it definitely un-boring. In fact, I'd say it was probably the most purely enjoyable movie experience I'd had in a long time, and I didn't have another one comparable until Shaun of the Dead. Even if for some reason I was of the opinion that the movie was poorly written or acted or directed (which isn't the case), it still would have been almost ludicrously pleasing for me to watch (which was the case).

Didn't know "The League that shall not be named" was based on a comic (I don't really read comics, except the occasional PA and some newspaper strips). Makes sense though, now that I think of it.

But what I really hated about it was how they told the story by simply presenting some kind of ridiculous facts in lines that were out of context. The prime example is this (OH NO MAJOR SPOILER DON'T READ BELOW).

Quatermaine catches M and says something like "M! Or should I say professor *** Moriarty?" WTF? There was no hint to this, no clue, nothing. Just out of the blue, Quatermaine figured out that guy was Moriarty.

---

I kind of liked Lost in Translation, or bits of it.

Lost in Translation was wonderful, and Garfield will suck because Hewitt isn't used in the right way.

So you admit it was skillfully made but it's full of shit because you found it boring?

Pretty much, yeah.

It wasn't the acting or the music or the writing I disliked, it was the story and the characters. I didn't sympathise with the female lead because she just seemed as though she liked feeling sorry for herself.

Bill Murray's character struck me as being depressed and lonely, which he was probably meant to be... but I don't want to watch an entire movie about a depressed and lonely person. No, wait. TWO depressed and lonely people.

And as for the story... although it was sweet, I found it totally unlikely. Not even just the whole idea of the movie star and the girl becoming friends in Japan and sharing a whole bunch of awesome moments together, but also the fact that they developed a non-sexual love for each other which, as far as I can tell, was what it was supposed to be.

So yeah, it probably did appeal to some people. Just not me. Maybe if you don't know any people in real life that you can compare to the two main characters of the movie, it doesn't ruin it for you. But since I do, I just saw the both of them as being complete wankers.

I did, however, love Shaun of the Dead.

P.S. Erkki, I like pieces of it. Like the Japanese Gameshow Host, and the elevator scene, and the photo shoot scene. That was pretty much it.

I saw the trailer for Garfield and it made me want to cry.

I thought Lost in Translation was a horrendously overrated pile of dung. Occasionally it seemed like it was going somewhere, but then didn't go anywhere at all. Much :fart: about nothing. It may be possible that the movie is not as bad as I remember it being.

Furthermore I resent the Citizen Kane comment.

And as for the story... although it was sweet, I found it totally unlikely. Not even just the whole idea of the movie star and the girl becoming friends in Japan and sharing a whole bunch of awesome moments together, but also the fact that they developed a non-sexual love for each other which, as far as I can tell, was what it was supposed to be.

So you want to have sex with everyone of your friends?

Meh, I thought Lost in Translation was an awesome movie, and although I haven't seen Citizen Kane, I'll just assume it's awesome because it has Orsen Wells and everyone in the world likes it.

I liked Lost in Translation mainly because I am crazy enough to notice details that those in their right mind's missed. For example:

It’s declared a masterpiece by movie critics and it opens on a panty shot. And that gadgets that the Japanese love, the window shades that open like an alarm clock to let natural light in, are unnatural and drive the Americans crazy. And just when Bill Murray’s character (I can remember details like this and I can’t even remember the main character’s name, what’s wrong with me?) tries to get out of the country as fast a possible until he gets someone to share it with, and he purposely stays behind. It's liveing in the modern world philosophy.

I can see why you were bored, I was too with the opening shots with the crazy billboards, but by the end I was mystified by practically the same shot, and I ended up loving the movie.

I also liked that it was one of the few movies created in the last few years that a male character and a female character have, gasp, a non-sexual relationship.

Lost in Translation, no matter its good intentions and concept (like Bc9b pointed out), is a bad movie. Alot of movies are just exciting intellectually, others are just exciting action wise, but this movie was boring as fuck all in every category. Bill Murray was good...but otherwise the movie came off like a pretentious art-house-waste-of-my-fucking-time. As an actual film it failed on all fronts and I don't know what critics saw in it.

Citizen Kane is great. The kind of movie that can't be attacked by dramatic movie stereotypes because it made them. Probably my favorite movie, but then there is always 2001, and Star Wars still is great each time I watch it.

Anyway, to get back on topic. LXG was just a shame, it wasted the actors and its few good ideas in order to sell tickets. Sometimes, if there's too much source material, you should probably just chop some of the eleventy-billion characters out of the picture so it doesn't feel like Marvel vs Capcom 2. Bad script and painful Hollywood action just kill the feeling.

Yufster: If you wanna see a boring movie, watch Citizen Kane. Lost in Translation may have been slow, but never boring. But I'm totally biased because I'm not just a Murray-nut, but also a Japan-nut. Bill Murray is awesome. We should have a Bill Murray-avatar that we use to award comic excellence in a post with.

I'm not dreading Garfield, because there's no way I'll ever take the effort to see it. It's as simple as that.

wha??? I didn't find a second in Citizen Kane boring. It has cinematography and storytelling technique that are lightyears ahead of typical movies of that era. I was wowed by every shot.

Titan AE is a really bad movie. But not as bad as the worst movie I've seen in my life (twice) Batman & Robin.

oh yeah LXG was pretty bad too.

And he is right.

Everyone should read the comics. They are really quite good.

I like when people are like "OMG LOST In Translation is a horrible movie" Obviously, you don't know the definition of horrible. Horrible is movies like Street Fighter the Movie, Suburban Commando, From Justin to Kelly, Baby Geniuses 2, and Plan 9 from Outer Space

But we're not going to talk about them because that would be a waste of time...

I never really felt Lost in Translation to be stressing its art house roots. In fact, I'd describe the whole movie as really easy-going, laid back, not concerned with a great many things. I was just absorbed by the rythm, the otherworldly atmosphere. You can't call this movie badly written and 'failed on all fronts' just because you don't have a clue what the heck is going on. Lost in Translation is rightly lauded as a poignant and subtle story about friendships and loneliness in my eyes. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the movie, that's wholly possible, but it goes too far to present your opinion as a fact.

Also, I wasn't bothered by how Coppola protrayed the Japanese. For starters this is how they actually are. Of course there were exaggurations (as a people I wouldn't want to be associated with that actress prostitute either!), but what offended you further? The talkshow host? The aggressive director? The kids playing weird games in the arcade? Or was it the traditional Japanese countryside wedding? Or the person Bob shared a laugh with in the hospital?

Even IF it may have seemed that Coppola took a one-sided approach to depicting the Japanese, she never judged them. It's a theme in the whole movie; she doesn't judge what she sees. Not the strange culture of the Japanese (of whom all the examples in the movie are common place in Japanese city life!), nor the fact that Bob is on the verge of committing adultery (but refrains from doing so to sustain the idyllic relationship with Charlotte). The movie has a lot more subtlety than you credit it for :)

Lastly, about Citizen Kane. Ha, I admit I was rather provoking in words. I have to say, I understand that the movie was revolutionary in its imagery and setup of the story. But I just found myself rather uninterested with it all. Revolutionary for its time it may have been, but that doesn't mean it's still up to par with all the rest from this time. Therefore, I appreciate that it was groundbreaking, but still see it as a rather boring movie. But from a cultural point of view, I'm glad I saw it. Once.