Tanukitsune

M.A.M.E.... Am I being to strick with myself?

People look weird at me when I tell them I own XP legally, and when I say I'd rather buy an old game then get the ROM, but...

Am I being too strict NOT allowing myself to use MAME? I mean, it's not like I can buy an 2000$ arcade machine just to feel I'm doing the right thing? :erm:

Does anybody use it? What do think about it? :hmph:

MAME has shown me that classic coin-ops from my childhood are nowhere near as much fun as I remember them being. :(

Yeah, that happens a lot when I dig up old favorites. I sure hope the same as I try to finally complete...

GRIM FANDANGO!!!

Yes, you're being too strict with yourself... I have an official copy of WinXP on my PC, buy games that I want to play, and don't plan on modding my PS2 or any other console I may buy. I also don't use file-sharing software for anything (though more related to laziness and a lack of desire to own things rather than the moral standpoint).

However, if I was to try and remember the arcade games that I used to know and love from years ago, I wouldn't even remember half of their names, let alone where/who to buy them from nowadays.

Also, as you very rightly pointed out, even if I did know the answers to the above 2 problems, I wouldn't be able to afford them or have the space to store enough cabinets to have more than a few arcades available to play at any one time. I realise that you have to draw a line somewhere between trying to support the industry that you love and just playing as many games as you can by any means, and my standpont is that if the effort and cost of getting a game legally is such that when you weigh it up against how much you want to play it, there's honestly zero chance of you ever buying it, then I don't feel bad about playing it illegally. It's the honestly part that's the only tricky bit...

If you're buying games that old, the money is just going to the people you're buying from, not the developers or publishers. So pirate as much as you want. If you don't have a decent gamepad MAME is going to suck though.

stop it with the morals, it wont get you anywhere in life :) heh

That depends where you want to go, and what morals you live by :sombrero:

--Erwin

MAME itself is fine, and there are ots of abandonware games for it. You can always just not download anything you think is still under copywright.

Stop denying yourself the wondrous treasure trove that is M.A.M.E.

The makers of M.A.M.E usually disable support for arcade games that were released in the last two years, even if the romset is widely available, so I think any roms for arcade games that were released in 2003/2004 just won't work, to prevent people from playing current games, of course you could restrict yourself to only play games that are 5 years or older if you wanted to, I always pay for my games, I like having a nice collection of console games piled up on the shelf, I don't sell or trade any of my games and if it's not worth paying for then it's not worth me wasting my life playing it... but i have no qualms about downloading ROMS for defunct games systems, the only exception I'd make is with the Neo Geo King of Fighters and Metal Slug titles of which the romsets can easily be found for M.A.M.E... Ignition entertainment are releasing ports of all these classic titles on PS2 for reasonable prices.. these are worth paying for, SNK/Playmore deserve the love of your wallet ;)

I think I AM too strict with myself...

I downloaded a game I actually own, in a compilation, which is a bunch of ROMs integrated with an emulator, so I technically own a legal copy of the ROM...

And I STILL felt guilty playing it...

:frusty:

Guilt? What for? Who are you hurting? Who would even know you were doing it if you hadn't posted a message about it here? I have every single ROM set for MAME and I don't feel guilty... why? Because I hardly ever play them anyway! :mock:

If I really wanted to play a certain arcade machine the way it was meant to be played, I'd head down the arcade. For instance, if they ever get Daytona USA working on MAME, I still think I'd put a couple of quid in the machine for some great four-player racing action! :sombrero:

But MAME is good for those "just a quick go" games. Like Golden Axe. Ho hum.

MAME rocks.

I did one of those "complete romsets by mail" thingies that are only marginally legal (I paid for the discs, not the roms), and I don't regret it in the slightest.

Here's the thing: I still buy compilations like Midway Arcade Treasures when they come out, so I'm not doing this as a way of getting the games without ever paying for them.

But there are lots of games that will never get that kind of release, and MAME is the best way to play 'em. Heck, MAME does a lot of games better than their official releases.

MAT2 has Mortal Kombat 3, but it's the initial release version. With MAME, you can play any release, including Ultimate MK3. Considering that each version was better than the last, you can see how this is a good thing indeed.