Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

So I just got KOTOR....wot now?

I just got KOTOR today for the PC, but won't have a chance to play until atleast friday, the only game-time I can squeeze in on weekdays now is on my Pocket PC and a couple rounds of Counter Strike.

I hope when Hl2 gets unlocked my interest for this game isn't smashed, that gives me half a month to either beat it or get really deep in.

Oh yeah, and since you're playing it for XBox, beware of bugs!!

There are quite a few, but there's this one that I remember: (without too much spoiler)

At one point in the game, the members of your party will be imprisoned and you're given a choice of character to carry out the prison break. Just don't go for the stealthy route with a stealthy character because you're most likely to encounter a show stopping bug that will make it impossible to proceed.

I'm sure the PC version doesn't have this bug though

Be sure to talk to your party regularly, it'll add more questy things. Hope you don't suddenly get an error where in the final area all the enemies refuse to acknowledge your presense and just stand in the doorways so there is no possible way to proceed.

Anyone else playing the PC version get the special lightsaber crystals from Yavin? I found them to be totally sweet. Well worth the price of being evil and having to butcher everyone I met for some cash.

Heh, my first run through the game, when I got to that part, I really didn't expect to have to fight. I swear, for some reason it took me 10 minutes to get through it. After 5 minutes, my main character and poor HK-47 went down, but for 5 minutes until I won, good 'ol Canderous kicked the crap out of all of them all by himself. Not exactly realistic, but that man is a tank.

Yeah I've played it up to the point where I build a light saber (9 hours---I guess I'm being thorough). Its ok, I suppose. So far very linear, and the writing and story are painful. Graphics-wise it takes the American brute-force approach, hoping geometry will overcome lack of strong art direction and atmosphere, its hit or miss so far.

And I've also had it crash on me quite a few times, but the short load times and constant auto-saving basically negate the effects of that.

I'm still holding out for that robot I've heard so much about. Maybe he can swing this narrative around.

One thing I've always wondered is... is Hk-47 a reference to the hitman or the rifle? 'Cause there's no way in hell it's original, right?

Manny, where you build a lightsaber - that's Dantooine, no? You have a long way to go! The game becomes less linear after you leave that planet (you have choices as to where you go next, and the order you do things). Don't worry, I was thorough as well - for me a story driven game like KOTOR is much better when you take it in slowly rather than trying to rush through to the end.

Exactly. I mean, it's a deep game that way, why rush it? As I type...

....Juhani is sneaking around trying to find a way to rescue all her compaions on Saul's ship.

I love her, exotically beautiful, mysterious, strong and feminine, yet quite sensitive and has a painful personal history.

...the writing and story are painful...

Good way or bad way? I mean, this story - or rather all its little stories combined - kicks most adventure games' stories' asses all the way to next year, for cripe's sakes.

:gaming: Ookay, back to playing it some more! HK-47 signing off, meatb--

Exactly. I mean, it's a deep game that way, why rush it? As I type...

....Juhani is sneaking around trying to find a way to rescue all her compaions on Saul's ship.

First time I played through Juhani was the suck. Never used her beyond when it was absolutely required. Second time through I pumped her up to mega powerful...

I was however very dissapointed that even though shes on the balance between light and dark, you can never sway her evil, so I was forced to butcher her

Finnish? :blink:

:erm: Oh, OH!! I meant finished!! Yeah, I finished it! wooHOO!! I did a freaking marathon, fellas, matching my 12 hour non-stop session with Deus Ex that one summer. Yep. The final boss fight with Malak was quite funny, though, once I peaked at a FAQ:

I died, like, a dozen times trying. Finally I looked it up and I was advised to destroy all 'dead' Jedi in the containers so Malak couldn't suck the leftover Force from them and stay impervious. His resistance and shields were way too strong for Sienna (my av) and I was wondering how the hell I'll beat him once I get rid of his battery supply. Then it struck me: the saber throw is absolutely unblockable! Yay! So, after I sent the last dead Jedi to heaven I just ran around in circles waiting for Sienna's blue bar to go up and the saber throw icon to glow, while Mr. Skanky Inked Skinhead chased her round and round. It was so silly in its simplicity, really. She kicked his nasty ass by just running around and throwing it at him.

Awesome, awesome game!! And I still got Carth in the end, the sweet hot stud! :9~

Thanks, everyone, for all your input. One of the most memorable long hour sessions I ever gamed. :sombrero:

May the :fart: be with you!

I figured it out rather swiftly.

Oh, and btw,

if you play as a guy the jedi chick with battle meditation goes to the dark side and so on and so forth... Does the story go as far as to make Carth the jedi ambassador with the battle meditation and the chick whatsherface the captain gunslinger whathaveyou?

Juhani is a Finnish name. Freaky.

Yeah, it's a finnish name for a male.

And in Kotor it's a name for a female, that's certainly is a bit freaky.

:wtf:

Yeah, it's a finnish name for a male.

And in Kotor it's a name for a female, that's certainly is a bit freaky.

And Kotor is the name of a port on the Adriatic in Montenegro, that is certainly a bit freaky.

Kotor-gross.jpg

Jesus, it's quite a skill you have that you can make even an innocent sentence like that sound dirty...