Sign in to follow this  
jennegatron

Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield

The Pokemon direct was today! 

It looks like I expected, where it would be a traditional mainline Pokemon, without the simplifications that were in Let's Go as that meant to build a bridge from Go fans and get them into a console version so that they could play a mainline more easily. 

I think it looks super beautiful and the switch's beefier hardware makes it look prettier than it has on handheld!

Looking forward to it, probably beginning of December or at the earliest, start of November. The starter Pokémon all look fine, with only the grass monkey being a little weird (but still funny). I hope that in terms of gameplay, of which little is announced as of yet, it'll be a little more daring than the traditional linear story forcing you down winding paths. Something slightly more open world would be appreciated. Of course, the real treat [for me] would've been a radical shift like the one Breath of the Wild took, but maybe that's too much to ask. And it may alienate hardcore fans who mainly want the same game again and again.

But we'll see! There's plenty room left to surprise us!

Past trends have given us mainline pokemon gams around American Thanksgiving, so end of nov/beginning of december tracks

I think the fact that pokemon games are mostly games for children they don't raise the floor of difficulty/complexity for the game very high. I'm excited to get more details over the coming months!

I have only played Blue and Lets Go Eevee because I didn't own a Nintendo handheld between the Game Boy Color and Switch. I'm excited to play a new Pokemon game.

That being said I am sad to see that the game will have random encounters instead of the Lets Go style of having the pokemon visible on the map. Hopefully they keep some form of Lets Go's xp sharing so you don't have to do tons of swapping in and out to level your team.

I am also interested to see how a modern pokemon game stacks up against World of Warcraft's pet battle system. I found move cooldowns, specific turn counters for sleep/paralysis/stun moves followed by a temporary immunity to those, pet type bonuses beyond strong against/weak against  and higher level pet capture fights having multiple enemies interesting challenges in WoW. I am under the impression that very little has changed in Pokemon since Blue.

I haven't decided on a started but am leaning towards the leaf monkey.

24 minutes ago, Cordeos said:

I have only played Blue and Lets Go Eevee because I didn't own a Nintendo handheld between the Game Boy Color and Switch. I'm excited to play a new Pokemon game.

That being said I am sad to see that the game will have random encounters instead of the Lets Go style of having the pokemon visible on the map. Hopefully they keep some form of Lets Go's xp sharing so you don't have to do tons of swapping in and out to level your team.

I am under the impression that very little has changed in Pokemon since Blue.

Exp Share has been a feature for a long time that you could turn on or off to increase/decrease difficulty. I think you'll find a lot more has changed than you thought. Things like abilities: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ability#List_of_Abilities

Which can do things like, make eggs hatch faster or give passive boosts to stats or increased chance to inflict status effects. Breeding for stats, easier online trading & head to head matchmaking, team fights, and held items. Also things like day/night cycles and weather

I think it's easy to say nothing's changed because generation to generation little changed, but over the course of 20 years the game has a lot more complexity if you're looking for it!

Let's see if a permament connection to Bulbapedia is necessary to understand anything other than the basic mechanics ;)

One thing that I hope very badly that is kept from let's go is that they allow you to swap your team on the fly rather than having to go back to a pokemon center!