Sign in to follow this  
Brannigan

R U Talkin' RE2 Remake RE: ME?

Anyone else playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake? I'm just a couple hours in and really enjoying the atmosphere and tension of it.  The original was a favorite game of mine back in the days of yore and I really enjoy how they've modernized it while keeping some of the goofier aspects like the puzzle design in.  I like how they've randomized how much damage it takes to put down a zombie permanently, so you're never really sure if it's actually dead unless it's head is completely blown off(not to mention dismembering one is an apt strategy if you don't want to waste bullets on killing).  Just got to the point where the dapper looking tyrant shows up and it's gone from slow and creepy to incredibly tense stealth exploration, trying to avoid attracting his attention while not dying, and running like hell when he shows up.

When I heard about Mr. X (I didn't play RE2 back in the day, only came into the series with 4), this remake went from 'prolly won't play' to 'would love to play if I weren't a huge scaredycat'. I love me some modern style Resident Evil, but it also sounds TENSE AS F.

Thumbs up for the thread title. :tup:

Only RE game I've played all the way through is RE4, only ever played the demo of RE2 back in the day. This new version does look neat tho.

7 hours ago, Henke said:

Thumbs up for the thread title. :tup:

Only RE game I've played all the way through is RE4, only ever played the demo of RE2 back in the day. This new version does look neat tho.

:eyebrow:

10 hours ago, Roderick said:

When I heard about Mr. X (I didn't play RE2 back in the day, only came into the series with 4), this remake went from 'prolly won't play' to 'would love to play if I weren't a huge scaredycat'. I love me some modern style Resident Evil, but it also sounds TENSE AS F.

He's easy to dodge, but puts constant pressure on you, so you end up planning your routes A LOT more.  Plus you can hear his thundering footsteps from like 2 rooms away and if you make shooty bang bang he's all up on you.  I did die once to him so far because he was in the way of where I needed to go, so I decided to take a longer route downstairs while he was chasing me, ran into a room that was previously clear and had a licker jump off the ceiling and rip me up, then a zombie grabbed me and took vital neck bits away from me.   He didn't actually hit me at all, but just him chasing me in there got me killed. As long as you're aware of your environment though you can go safe room to safe room so you can save often and take breaks as needed.  RE4 is the last one I played, and this plays much slower I think, even when not being pressured you have to be pretty careful as you don't aim perfectly, takes a second to get a proper bead unless you're just going all grenade launcher on something.

Completed Claire's story and Leon's second playthrough.  Enjoyed the whole ride, though the events don't exactly line up right between first and second play.  Mr. X only haunts you for a portion of the game, though is more present in leon's story, and shows up earlier in the second run as well.  Overall enjoyed Claire's story more, partially for the heavy Aliens vibe, but also her story ends up focusing more on how shitty Umbrella is, especially with the orphanage bit.  Second run is definitely a bit harder in that ammo is more scarce and stronger enemies show up a lot sooner, however since you've played through it goes by quicker, especially since only the plot-related puzzles change, combinations for lockers stay the same so if you have a good memory or wrote stuff down, you get upgrades faster.  Some items show up in different places, but you know the areas well enough to cover ground pretty quickly.

Overall great stuff, hope they keep going with the heavier focus on horror in other RE games.