atte

[Released] To Me, To Me, To Me

https://atteo.itch.io/tometometome

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even though I've made a few platformer projects in Gamemaker I felt like I needed to properly refigure and rethink the basic systems and code again. Now after stitching together pieces from different tutorials (from the reliable GM wizards Shaun Spalding, Friendly Cosmonaut and Heartbeast) I have something I feel is pretty good for me (at least much more flexible than what I've worked with before). So this first post is a pretty lukewarm 'Hey look I'm making a pixelart platformer again!' :lol:

Oh, the game story is something about going to investigate and stop an industrial manufacturing AI that has started to act completely wild and chaotic - at least that's what it looks like to humans.

The levels and graphics here are quite WIP, done for the purpose of testing this basic stuff.

5 hours ago, atte said:

The levels and graphics here are quite WIP, done for the purpose of testing this basic stuff.

Except they already look pretty great, you talented monster.

Man, I love how you've brought so much attention and detail across to this pixelly style and that gameplay is really smooth well done, so far!

For a minute, I had a variable in my code named "isInputToMeToMeToMe", but alas i had to scrap it and use an enum

I really like the simplistic "grey concrete" level blocks. It really reminds me of some of my favourite dos platformers like monuments of mars or secret agent or something. Looking forward to this!

Even your work-in-progress graphics look really good! Eager to play this. :tup:

Thanks everyone!

I'm kind of more nervous about making these kind of nes style graphics than those hires monster illustrations in my previous game. Even though 8bittish retro platformer is a super common genre I feel like I rarely see new games that capture that style that games like Ducktales had. Of course there's a heavy dose of nostalgia with these things but I think there is this beautiful balance of abstraction and detail here that I'm still interested in seeing and making.

dt.thumb.png.f43570290ba3c6f74318962ff29ee50a.png

Well I've been tinkering with gameplay stuff and not made much new art anyway.

I like that your weapon appears to be a bouncing ball. Those robots will never expect that!

Check out Alwa's Awakening for an NES styled platformer that really nailed it!

On 18.1.2019 at 5:57 PM, z_bill said:

Check out Alwa's Awakening for an NES styled platformer that really nailed it!

Yes Alwa's Awakening had some good pixels! Also 1001 Spikes and Castle in the Darkness have somewhat similiar art that I really appreciated.

Even though at the start I was quite sure this time I would make a traditional run and gun, Mega Man style platformer, I ended up designing a thing that's similiar to my WJ7 entry They Came Through The Floor. Designwise TCTTF was in many ways a disappointing and unfinished experiment, so maybe I wanted to have another go at making this kind of single screen arcade platformer - or maybe I just really don't want to put time into learning how to make a good platformer camera.

I like the foundation that I have here now, it's familiar action platforming but also has its own strange flavour. I feel like there's potential here (might not immediately look like it for fresh eyes) but don't know how far I'm able to develop it before my skills/energy/interest runs out. There's very little new art yet but now that I have a clear(er) image in my mind what this game is supposed to be, making graphics will be more interesting and fun.

Now that the (first/official) deadline is fast approaching I'm trying to focus on getting the basics done and some more interesting graphics in - also the game now has music (that cuts always too soon in that video...) from my regular collaborator friend. There's lots of gameplay stuff and secrets in my mind for this - hopefully I'll get a more robust version done for the showcase weekend.

https://atteo.itch.io/tometometome

I assembled the levels super turbo hastily just before the deadline and the keyboard controls might be awkward but I'm pretty happy with this version. Don't know how much potential this has but I want to do at least better level design and revised/more art still.

If you don't want to approach this as a puzzle mystery please read the instructions first :lol:

This is really cool. It took me a few tries to figure out what to do, but after re-reading the itchio instructions I got it. I really like the glitchy machine voice and audio work. It controls pretty well, and has some nice challenge without being too punishing. Very good! :gaming:

Thanks for playing (and having the patience to figure out what's going on in the game). Here is my playthrough of the current version:

A mini spoiler alert as this shows the 5 result screens, those might be a fun thing to discover yourself.

Second update now available. Main change is that currently controlled blocks can't activate slots anymore - it's a bit harder this way but now it should play a bit more like I intended.

I really like the animations and the intricate gameplay. And those results screens are :tup:

This is really well-presented - really cute graphics, animation and music - but I'm afraid I just could not figure out how to play! I watched your playthrough video, which didn't help but was entertaining!