eRonin

[Released] They Came Through the Floor

UPDATE: Here's a link to the released build of the game! It's very much a work in progress demo. I hope to continue adding to it over the next week. https://superhiero.itch.io/they-came-through-the-floor

Hi all, I'm making a visual novel featuring mecha and aliens (that emerge through the floor). It will be called They Came Through the Floor. The player works as a pilot of a civilian type mecha, but gets caught up in an alien invasion alongside more typical military looking mechs. The plan is for the player to pick one of three different types of mecha, which will change up the game a little bit (but not too much). 

Here's a WIP screenshot:

image.png.51d438a96a3eea3be2d51a717d69e6c7.png

Here's more of that little fella, and two of the other mecha in the game:

image.png.cb1818595af3ffadfaab678c2e402059.png image.png.b052f4b46f7277d3fb1fa27a0b7a43ba.png image.png.716aab3e53e9cadb9569b54be7135f22.png 

I imagine it's fairly obvious that the red one is a fire-fighting mech, but the first and third work in construction and parcel delivery, respectively. I'll work on some alien designs shortly! I'm also slowly typing away at some dialogue or whatever. I already regret deciding to do a visual "novel".

On 1/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, z_bill said:

Like those robos! They have a G1 Transformers/GoBots feel.

Seconded! I’ve always been a GoBots man. This looks great

Now for some humans! They are some of the other mecha pilots that you'll encounter in the game. I have to workshop some alien designs now. I still don't really have a clear idea in my head of what I want those to look like, so I'm gonna spend today just sketching a bunch of things.

Wong-default.png.af3dff7d317f6d9efae736eda66ab0a4.png George-default.png.caaa874259dbaf6df27b28e086a19e80.png Alice-default.png.f1fc060ea48cac70faaf8925d4834329.png

Also I gotta start working on more dialogue in the meantime.

I probably have to scale the "story" down quite a lot since I only have a few days left for the jam. Some of the more ambitious things with different events happening based on which mech you chose at the start will probably be cut down a lot. For now, here's some alien designs.

Alien1.png.63d0d45a539a4bb819e75d1ff8e87e51.png Alien2.png.7a831d8aee74dd75aab0e7c85e3f2b9c.png

It's very barebones, but I've released a demo version of the game now: https://superhiero.itch.io/they-came-through-the-floor

There's a LOT I still want/need to add. The story is incomplete, and the choose between 3 mecha thing hasn't been implemented at all. I hope to add to it over the next week, but I'm busy with other things, so it might not be finished until maybe a couple of months later. Looking forward to checking out everyone else's games though!

Hey just a heads up, downloading an unzipped exe is difficult/impossible for some folks due to anti-virus nonsese. Any chance you can post a zipped file as well?

On 1/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, eRonin said:

Ahhhh right right gotcha. Will do so now. 

Great, thanks!

I gave this a go, and ran into some problems with overlapping text. Once I rescued the cat, the dialogue field always had "KEEP CLICKING ON THE CAT" written at the top, which covered the top line of all subsequent dialog.

But I did manage to put out the fires and read most of the text. The art style was cool, and mechs are always a good time. The doctor's office details (like the otter calendar!) were cute and good :)

Oh, it's supposed to be a generic office and not specifically a doctor's office haha. Was there any part of the room that made it look like a doctor's, specifically?

Also I will check out that keep clicking the cat line to see if there's anything I need to do to remove that. Thanks for checking out the game :)

12 minutes ago, eRonin said:

Oh, it's supposed to be a generic office and not specifically a doctor's office haha. Was there any part of the room that made it look like a doctor's, specifically?

Come to think of it, not really no. Maybe it looks like my doctor's office? Now I am curious why I thought that.

Edit: It was a combination of the office and the guy's white shirt. I guess he sort of looks like a doctor? *shrug*

When I read the description I wondered why a visual novel would use gamemaker instead of a more specialized engine like Ren'py, but the minigames made that clear soon. I can't really judge the story since it's basically just the setup for now, but it's neat having some simple games in there.

I should definitely branch out and look at more specialized engines! But my game-making experience has so far been 100% with game-maker, so I just went with it. It's very clunky (e.g. I don't know how to make text scroll), but with limited time, I just went with what I was familiar with. Also the mini-games were supposed to be more involved but stuff was breaking so I cut some of it out. Thanks for checking it out though!