Nappi

[Dev Log] Palpable Dreams

I considered not taking part in the jam this time because I was out of ideas. Then I found a cool flocking code for Unity, and decided to play around with it.

I'm yet to figure out the gameplay, but my current idea is to hide some invisible attractors and repulsors in the play area and make the player find them based on the movement of the swarm.

swarm_test_sphere.gif.37657445f1a9fd720893988e8d4203cb.gif

(It actually runs much smoother than the gif)

I made some progress, and I feel like this might yet turn into some sort of a game. I added camera rotation and zooming, and an invisible repulsor that moves on the surface of the (again invisible) planet. It might not be immediately clear from the video, but I'm looking for the repulsor and clicking on it to explode the scene.

I hate what Youtube does to the video. It actually looks pretty crisp and runs quite smoothly.

swarm_test_3.gif.d6bc0fd93bd10f6380ffcf1846597948.gif

It already looks pretty darn smooth, can't wait to see what 'more smooth' looks like! I love the abstract nature of it,  like an artwork you can play. Looking forward to getting mesmerised by this one!

@Nappi once again your use of colour is just amazing! Gameplay too, I've done boids and swarm stuff at uni but never anything spherical like that it's crazy!

Thanks!

I suffered from a slight lack of inspiration and motivation prior to the jam, but now that things seem to work okay, I'm pretty excited to keep on going. The gameplay may be a bit barebones, but hopefully the game will at least serve as a relaxing visual thing.

Mythalore: Fiddling with the visual style and colors is definitely one of my favorite things in these projects, so I'm really happy to hear that it comes across.

Today, I focused on the most essential part of any game: the title screen. I also started experimenting with different color schemes. I think I will utilize negative space a lot in this game.

Oh and I also tweaked the title a bit.

palpable_dreams_title3.gif.0189fe28c9bca8f542cbf6aad73cf33a.gif