Mythalore

Mailbag for a Tattered Nation

Hi folks!

I'm going to be writing and illustrating an interactive story for this wizard jam.

Took a little bit to find myself again after finishing uni but now I'm working as an artist/illustrator and loving it.

I'm teaming up with Jordan Hartley on this, he's composing a lovely score to go along with the story!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mailbag for a Tattered Nation, an interactive short story

This nation is torn, tattered, and bereft. Resources are scarce; hope, long forgotten.

This is it, all there is.

You find three letters in an old mailbag on the street. You haven't been warm in weeks, this is your chance.

Which letter do you want to burn? Whose unfinished story is it time for the world to move on from and forget?

sam-richards-5-mailbag-for-a-tattered-na

That's an interesting concept and the illustration already looks cool! The scope sounds reasonable, too :tup:

I'm working on the second illustration and writing now but here's a speed paint of the first in the meantime!

Music: Life Uhh Finds a Way (Rough Mix) also by Jordan Hartley!

Love the art! And watching the paint process is really fascinating.

Playable here: https://mythalore.itch.io/mailbag-for-a-tattered-nation

I had a bit of trouble getting the music in but it's fully working now.

Currently there's only the one main illustration, I started this as motivation to get me drawing more but I think it was too much at once and I got distracted with other muses.

But I'm planning to go back to this as and when I'm motivated to illustrate a scene since it's a lot easier to draw now that I know what I'm drawing.

I'll update as I got with the new drawings.

I liked that the descriptions both for the scene and the letters were not too extensive. If there is a lot of descriptive text in interactive fiction of this kind I sometimes end up skipping through the later bits. The music is nice, I feel it sets a comptemplative mood.

I found the writing and music very effective at setting the mood. It's great how much you managed to convey without being verbose.

I agree. The music, writing and art worked really well together. :tup:

Really nice music and art, and I liked how the writing gave glimpses of the world while focusing on the letters. Depressing but good!