Technomagie

[Dev Log] :-( Technical Difficulties (No Podcast This Week)

Sad words, and yet they don't go away. You've been drifting for far too long. Sooner or later, a choice has to be made. Will you be the one to make it?

Speaking of making things, I'm doing that in RPG Maker. Which is what I said last time I tried to be in Wizard Jam, but now that I've made it through the holidays without a family emergency or much else going on, I think I'm all set to try and do something for this. More than anything else except for maybe Monster Hunter, I've been playing a lot A LOT of Shin Megami Tensei recently, so I wanted to try my hand at a similarly surreal and cerebral RPG, using (of course) RPG Maker MV. Now as you may know if you remember Hamburger Mode from... gosh, like a year and a half ago now.......... oof. But if you do remember it, you'll know that it was ridiculous, and while I stand by that decision, I hope to make this a slightly more cohesive and total experience. Of course, RPG Maker can look very generic, and I'm hoping to at least find some good music online to help form atmosphere. I'll update this tomorrow with some more information, as well as a to-do list of things I need to do. Until then!

Edited by Technomagie
EDIT: Forgot that the name of the episode was actually "This week" rather than "Today"

I love RPGs in the vein of smt, so I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Oh heck yeah! I'm going to say straight up that I'm not actually that versed in the series outside of Persona and the 3DS games, but I'm super into them so I hope this will come together into something almost as cool as they are.

Currently working on: Mapping and blocking out story events for the first section of the game, which is tricky because I'm never good at staggering out world information in a way that feels more like a mystery a player wants to solve and less like an annoyance.

I've also decided to build combat out of the prefabs RPG Maker provides, which means it might be kind of bland at first, but if I can get enough of the other things I want to do done and working, I'll try to go back in and make something a bit more unique. We'll see.

Finally, RPG Maker doesn't actually have the best selection of tiles for use, but because I can't do art, and finding tilesets in the wild that all fit together aesthetically is not easy, but I have found good art sprites for monsters that I'm planning on using, which can be found here. Much better than the grotesque battle sprites provided with the software.