brendonsmall

[Released] A Thousand Dormant Machines

Mixer logic coming along okay, still a bit WIP but fun! :)

MixerTest3Materials.gif.61bd9f0502005b27c514e8cc77c43434.gif

Output from mixer not yet working (hence the yellow blinking lights on the conveyors. They're waiting patiently for input) :gaming:

More WIP. The mixer is now producing Junk material when it has unknown or bad material combinations. When I connect the sugar conveyor, it starts producing mixed chocolate. When I delete the sugar conveyor, it has a bad configuration and requires a purge (light goes red).

MixerWorking.gif.cced08e0661f99faefbb1d0d0fcd73b5.gif

I am a little worried this will be hard to parse but there is a cropped out UI that indicates a given machine's status when you select it. The lights are supposed to be a leading indicator of a problem ("Hey click me to see what's up!") then the details will guide the player to fix the problem.

*wipes brow* :o

We have finished chocolate bars! Need to finish the packing and palletizing machines, then onto "with nuts or rice" variants.

I don't know how much of a finished game this will be by Sunday, but it should at least be a fun thing to play around with. I am going to try to get a win condition in there. The game challenge will probably be 

1) Make a manufacturing line to produce a regular chocolate bar

2) Make a chocolate bar with nuts

3) Now add a line for chocolate bars with rice

Then when the player produces these milestones, output a little score based on time it took, number of machines they used, maybe rate based on overall factory footprint, etc.

For some reason I cannot upload gifs anymore (getting http 200 errors), so here's a tweet update instead:

Right now the win condition is a debug print that says "YAY I made a pallet of stuff", but the good news is that all machines are working more or less for the single main scenario #1. Depending on how tomorrow's Menu and UI work goes, I might try to make scenarios #2 and #3:

8 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

1) Make a manufacturing line to produce a regular chocolate bar

2) Make a chocolate bar with nuts

3) Now add a line for chocolate bars with rice

The end game will probably be fairly anticlimactic, in the wheelhouse of Sim City's "Hooray you are now a Small Town!" or whatever. 

Main menu is complete:

MainMenuOversell.thumb.jpg.ca22a7e3578be8600af17dd96e8e45d5.jpg

Note: Sandbox mode might get scrapped depending on how tomorrow goes! :) Tomorrow's goal is to get user prompts finished so the player knows what to do, and the game detects when they did it. Bonus if challenge scenarios #2 and #3 can get in as well.

I did the thing! This was my second attempt. The first time I was very confused and produced a whole lot of waste. The first time, I used the splitter and had three lines of production going, but since the game calls for a single pallet to be made, on my second attempt I just had the one line of production to produce a single pallet. Now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to feed a palletizer from three conveyors, but that didn't seem to work the first time and added to my waste. Really cool game though!

athousanddormantmachines_victory.thumb.png.296d9701429a160f7a9553628cdb790b.png

On 1/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, eRonin said:

I did the thing! This was my second attempt. The first time I was very confused and produced a whole lot of waste. The first time, I used the splitter and had three lines of production going, but since the game calls for a single pallet to be made, on my second attempt I just had the one line of production to produce a single pallet. Now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to feed a palletizer from three conveyors, but that didn't seem to work the first time and added to my waste. Really cool game though!

Awesome! :) Thanks for playing!

I had originally intended a couple extra scope items to make the splitter make more sense:

• A merger: So you could split/merge lines at different points, and feed a single palletizer/packager with a merger of 2-3 lines of incoming finished bars
  • and Other chocolate types: So you could split the mixed chocolate line into 2 additional mixers to add rice and nuts on two new lines with a common feed from an origin mixer

Alas, I ran out of time. But I am really glad you made it to the end, confusion aside. It is satisfying to see that the tutorials and stuff hopefully made sense, and you "beat the game" :D Yay!

I managed to beat the first challenge also, though I didn't try for the advanced ones. The controls looked kind of intimidating from the description, but with the tutorial it was actually pretty intuitive. As far as UI goes, it might be easier to select different parts to build from a grid instead of cycling through one at a time.

Really impressive work! I agree that a grid type object list would help make things easier, but mechanically the game works really well.

On 2/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, Teljoor said:

I managed to beat the first challenge also, though I didn't try for the advanced ones. The controls looked kind of intimidating from the description, but with the tutorial it was actually pretty intuitive. As far as UI goes, it might be easier to select different parts to build from a grid instead of cycling through one at a time.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:22 AM, Nappi said:

Really impressive work! I agree that a grid type object list would help make things easier, but mechanically the game works really well.

Thanks to you both for playing!

I agree as well regarding the grid. I think some kind of flyout wheel or grid-based window to view/select from many at once would be better. I also think I should add a dedicated button for Conveyors since they are sort of unique and required all the time (sort of like the 'roads' button in sim city or something). Thanks for your feedback :)