brendonsmall

[Released] A Thousand Dormant Machines

RELEASEDThe initial release has been posted! https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-8/rate/354978

Jon and I are starting to plan our game a little early. Our goal is to explore the joy of simulating machines with code, and translate that into a game.

My best guess is that this is going to be some kind of factory simulator, probably in 2D or fixed angle 3D (think Cities: Skylines, Sim City, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc.).

I imagine the end result after 2 weeks work will be a very very basic (maybe just a "tutorial" section) factory where you build some small machines, some conveyers/transport infrastructure, and have an end result on the manufacturing line. Might do a candy factory, because we want it to be fun and approachable thematically, not a hardcore simulation game. 

There's also some free/good thumbs candy content:

• The gum disease Gingivitis
  • Off-brand candy bars (Jokerz, Thumbs Up, Twilight, Bucaneer, etc.)
  • Talk of Bubble Gum Tape, the endless pursuit of candy during childhood, gross candy corn, etc.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes! :)

UPDATE:

The initial release has been posted! https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-8/rate/354978

MainMenuOversell.jpg

(For some reason this image appears twice. Sorry.)

screen04.jpg

The candy theme mixed with a factory setting sounds fun. (Not really an actual suggestion but) I'm amused by the idea of a SimCity natural disaster style event where a wild Dot Gobbler breaks into the factory and starts eating everything (while looking worried and sweating profusely of course).

13 hours ago, atte said:

The candy theme mixed with a factory setting sounds fun. (Not really an actual suggestion but) I'm amused by the idea of a SimCity natural disaster style event where a wild Dot Gobbler breaks into the factory and starts eating everything (while looking worried and sweating profusely of course).

This is a great idea. I do want to eventually have simulated distaster-like events, and this is super on theme. :)

On 1/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, brendonsmall said:

Jon and I are starting to plan our game a little early.

Two of my favourite Wizard Jammers making a game? Consider me HYPED! :tup:B)

Things are getting serious over here. Working on speccing out machines and such

MachineSpecs.thumb.jpg.fdce80cab842c65c112614dfe0ce175f.jpg

And got some sample Unity goo going as well.

WIPMachineConveyorPlacement.jpg.ed701160e34616147befd480ff196a27.jpg

Figuring out the mechanics of all this stuff will be tricky, but I am exciting we're trying to make this thing happen :)

Doing a bit more fiddling around with conveyor belts. This game is probably a bit too ambitious for 2 weeks, but I hope we end up with a few machines and the ability to build a complete manufacturing line that makes at least one product. Ideally we'll have a few products/lines that share raw materials (sugar, cocoa, etc.) to make things interesting!

Things are getting serious in prototype land over here. Legos and painters tape.

GettingSerious.thumb.jpg.a2618cfbe1c2dc75531ed587dbd6f21e.jpg

This sounded like a terrific tinker simulation when I read the opening post and who was involved. Now I see some Lego and I am all in.

A very Gizmo-ey evening to you all. Making some progress on linking up machines as they get placed.

ConveyorConnections.jpg.a827feec9eed632c6bb153cc388711db.jpg

This stuff is actually pretty complicated it turns out! :oldman:

The factory is now cursed. With CURSORS. *lighting clap*

FactoryCursors.gif.ebfaa51f491a78e89f6f251cd4b1e750.gif

(yes, I am totally going for that Mickey Mouse Mario Paint feel with the "selection hand" cursor)

A much less visually exciting update, but I ditched the old complicated conveyors and opted for a "jammy" conveyor set that is basically 2D but in a 3D world. They won't support multiple vertical tiers or  splits or joins, but the best feature is that these ones seem to work reliably:

ConveyorsWorking.gif.7db47faca702be36ceb8f5fd89cf33c2.gif

The pale cyan lines are the connections between conveyor tiles. They determine their inputs and outputs based on who gives them material (input) and the other tile is assigned the output. Might need to do some fancy footwork to handle error cases (point two outputs at each other 1 tile apart then try to fill the middle tile, etc.) but we'll deal with that later! :)

At the risk of jinxing myself, I think I figured out a semi-reliable conveyor and machine system. I am able to complete a (very, very boring) manufacturing line with one input (an ingredient), some conveyors, and one output (a shipping dock or incinerator or something). Huzzah!

This sounds cool and ambitious. :tup:  for the use of Legos in prototyping.

12 hours ago, Nappi said:

This sounds cool and ambitious. :tup:  for the use of Legos in prototyping.

Hah, yes, I enjoyed that a lot. It's awesome to have a physical thing to help think through spatial implications and layouts and stuff

"Someone call the Foreman, the machine is on but the line's not finished!"

LineLeak.gif.fa92fffd0b265bde428ccd24eff8807b.gif

(was trying to visualize breakage/waste, and got some laughs as a result)

As you can see here, implementing line error codes. This is what a material collision currently looks like. Hilarious, but probably need to change it.

MuchBetter_small.gif.0b5d24ce812f971fe6a38b8eda417c38.gif