Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

CHRISTMAS 2018

It is THAT time again, the time we all not change our avatars, because we've been keeping 'em christmassy all year, for years, and for years to come.

Let me introduce you to Christmas 2018 with the traditional Christmas Video:

Merry Christmas! I saw the video when I was 16 and can still see it sometimes when I close my eyes...

My favorite and biggest present received this year was a field guide to LICHENS. Lichens are pretty awesome and the book's full of pictures of the hundreds and hundreds of species of lichens, in various magnifications. I've determined two species already, on Christmas day, in my parents' yard.

I got a bunch of gift cards for a local instrument shop! My girlfriend and I have been talking about learning to drum for ages. We both play other things (her: bass, me: guitar, banjo, and bass) and trading off with one of us keeping rhythm while the other plays something else has always appealed to us. We live in a shared house, so noise is a concern. I've been looking at decent entry-level electronic kits that are on the quieter side as a result. I think I may actually go try to get one this week. As a bonus, if I get one that has a 5-pin midi out plug (not USB midi) it looks like a relatively simple process to get it working with Rock Band pro mode as well (NOTE FOR OTHERS INTERESTED IN THIS: This simple process requires two specific adapters which are hard to find but I luckily already have for other reasons), which would certainly motivate me to practice a tonne. After years of dithering, I may actually take a drum lesson and try to learn some things. Fun!

Awesome! You should make it a point to learn new stuff. That's actually my new year's resolution too, to cut back on gaming (heresy!) to free up time to learn other stuff. Piano or Japanese have long been on my wish list.