Rob Zacny

Episode 452: After Dark 2018

Three Moves Ahead 452:

Three Moves Ahead 452

After Dark 2018
Every once in a while we like to kick back, pour a drink, and check in with the crew to see what's going on. This week it's Rob, Rowan, and Michael on the air to discuss what they've been playing - strategy or not. Michael bares his soul to share the things that bring him joy, only to be mercilessly mocked by the two jerks that aren't writing this episode summary. Rowan describes his love / hate relationship with Pathfinder and Rob details his love / love relationship with Steel Division. We also touch on the new Civilization VI expansion announcement and discuss some upcoming plans for the Winter of Wargaming.

Opus Magnum, Caves of Qud, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Steel Division, Civilization VI, Command Ops 2

It's really weird to see Civ6 getting environmentalism expansion. Because this series is increasingly about celebrating human achievements. Look at those buildings, armies, wonders, techs - how cool is that! There's only a way up from here! Those nukes aren't nice but no big deal, the important thing is that the map is covered with districts full of joyful people. Communists are just people who like big buildings and factories, fascists like bigger guns and more glory. It's all great. It's impossible to imagine any mature representation of climate change problems here. It will all be about human genius inventing a couple of buildings that you have to put near your factories to come clean. And maybe couple wonders that will make cities on the same continent environmentally clean in an instant.

Also Grimoire is bad.

I was wondering when would be the next after dark episode. Guess I don't have to wait any longer. Also, is Michael slowly but surely becoming a elite irregular panelist? Who knows!? Maybe in 2019.

8 hours ago, ilitarist said:

It's really weird to see Civ6 getting environmentalism expansion. Because this series is increasingly about celebrating human achievements. Look at those buildings, armies, wonders, techs - how cool is that! There's only a way up from here! Those nukes aren't nice but no big deal, the important thing is that the map is covered with districts full of joyful people. Communists are just people who like big buildings and factories, fascists like bigger guns and more glory. It's all great. It's impossible to imagine any mature representation of climate change problems here. It will all be about human genius inventing a couple of buildings that you have to put near your factories to come clean. And maybe couple wonders that will make cities on the same continent environmentally clean in an instant.

Also Grimoire is bad.

I guess this ties up with what the panel said about Civ VI trying to be more about the human experience as a whole instead of just Big Expansionist Empires that control lots of land and are always at war. I do wonder if they ever thought about also having global cooling as a mechanic instead of just including global warning in an attempt to be Pro-environment. 

Also, I find it funny how Civ VI is releasing an expansion about the environment 4 months after cities:skylines released one about industries.

Thank you guys for those moments of hilarious absurdity - cracked me up. 

Caves of Qud actually looks good; it has very positive reviews on Steam.

Pathfinder looks good too.

I miss these shows what you go mia; always good to hear from Rowan.

I think Michael is right about the inevitable outrage from right wing culture warriors about leftie agendas infecting their games.

Yay! Caves of Qud!

I think Civ going back to environmental issues is a good thing. It's the biggest issue humanity is facing and it should (and will) get more attention. If someone doesn't like it because they think it's "political" then they can put it in the place where they put things they ignore.

Here's a suggestion for you based on the discussion of Caves of Qud: Cogmind. Great atmosphere, good tactics, allows different play-styles, and mouse support from day 1.

Ok - here is a question - Is there any chance that you could review one of those "popular" new wargames that have come out in the past year or so based on a popular license?  I'd like to get some input on Killteam/Fallout/Song of Fire and Ice since it's easier to get some people together with the old "Well- if you like this than lets just try this game based on that" compared to - "this is a great system that models the french experience from years 1961-1963"

Also - Pathfinder sounds really interesting if you can remove the 90 hours part.

New to the podcast. I listened to this episode and really liked the breadth covered here: Caves of Qud, chess, Zachtronics, Civ, and so on.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:16 AM, Marchettus said:

Ok - here is a question - Is there any chance that you could review one of those "popular" new wargames that have come out in the past year or so based on a popular license?  I'd like to get some input on Killteam/Fallout/Song of Fire and Ice 

Which one of those is a wargame?

On 26/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, Marchettus said:

Ok - here is a question - Is there any chance that you could review one of those "popular" new wargames that have come out in the past year or so based on a popular license?  I'd like to get some input on Killteam/Fallout/Song of Fire and Ice since it's easier to get some people together with the old "Well- if you like this than lets just try this game based on that" compared to - "this is a great system that models the french experience from years 1961-1963"

I would enjoy an episode or two of 3MA about some generalist/popular boardgames. I'm sure Rob's take on Kill Team would be entertaining, even if miniature stuff isn't my cup of gaming. Then again, if the option is to have either that or a Gerykcast, I would definitely vote for the latter.

With regards to the games you mentioned, Shut Up and Sit Down has reviews on Kill Team and Fallout, with Kill Team seemingly only for miniature-hobbyists and Fallout simply for no one. I don't know about Song of Fire and Ice. Have you given the X-Wing miniatures game a look?