Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Help with the Laptop

Even though my laptop is really awesome and shoots rainbows from its eyes and whatnot, it can't connect to the internet. I think it might be because I broke the internal modem. Anyhoo, that's not the problem. Well it is. But the ACTUAL problem... the problem that's caused by the OTHER problem, if you know what I mean... is that I can't install all those little codec things that you need to install to watch DVDs. You know, the things that automatically download themselves when you have the internet. Whatever they're called. Don't know.

I'm going on a long boring train journey across the country tomor in a few hours, and I would very much like to watch DVDs. Except I can't. Because it won't let me. I can hear the sound but I can't see anything. This is how blind people must feel.

What stuff do I need to watch movies on my laptop? Where do you get this stuff when it doesn't automatically download itself? Train leaves in four hours or whatever. I don't know. I don't think I'm going to go if I can't get this stupid thing working.

P.S. Shaun of the Dead is how the Resident Evil movie should have been.

P.P.S. 'Whatnot' is an actual real word.

Hopefully this isn't too late, but I'm assuming that since you have a DVD drive in your laptop and that it wasn't self-assembled (meaning you bought it from some kind of company pre-assembled), you should have a CD that consists of DVD software that came with your computer. If you are trying to watch DVDs in Windows Media Player, then you would need those silly codecs. If, however, you installed some of the software from those CDs (usually something like WinDVD or Intervideo DVD or something like that), you wouldn't need codecs. (I think.)

Basically, what I'm suggesting is, since you don't have internet on that computer, look around your CD's provided by your computer's manufacturer and you should find something handy.

G'luck.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking. Software expressly for watching DVD movies are pretty much self-contained. WinDVD is one. Also, there are often media software that already come with the actual DVDs themselves, and when you slip the disc in you're prompted to install them.

My brother once gave me some codecs on CD. So search for codecs and then burn a CD. Assuming you have a CD-Writer.

a software for playing dvds (such as windvd,... - i think that you can watch dvds on newer versions of media player too, but i'm not entirely sure) is required if you want to watch dvd-movies. i don't know what you mean with "codec things to install for watching dvds", but you can download the popular xvid/divx-codecs from www.divx.com or...ahm...some xvid-pages and transfer the install-files to your laptop.

unless you mean avi files. which need an entirely diffirent set of codecs...

But get powerdvd for playing your dvd's it's got all the codec you need to watch any dvd with.

See, before Ireland flooded and I was forced to cancel my trip or swim across Waterford, I was going to take my laptop because they don't have DVD players in Galway. I ripped Shaun of the Dead and The Living Daylights off DVD* on THIS PC, where they worked just fine because obviously I had the codecs. They wouldn't work on my damn laptop, but as it turns out what I needed was something called DIV50 or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention but anyway it works just fine now.

I hadn't actually realized that I'd need a set of codecs to play AVI as apposed to DVDs or something. I don't know. Hello!

*Note: I own these DVDs. I just don't like carrying them around Ireland with me.

NO I FUCKING DIDN'T. I'M STUCK IN A GIANT PUDDLE IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING MUNSTER, I CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE AND I LEFT MY CHEMISTRY BOOK IN FUCKING SCHOOL WHICH IS SO OVER THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING COUNTY IT'S IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COUNTY ALTOGETHER.

So no, I didn't really resolve my dilemma.

I see. Interesting point of view.

But if you have chemistry questions, just ask me. After all, I have passed two (2) chemistry exams. Barely, but without cheating.

I took chemistry once look

O2 + H => H2O (pretend the '2's are small)

Surely that should be H+ + OH- -> H20?

Yeah, and when Waterford is a located in the Lost City of Atlantis, as according to educated people that study that sort of thing....

EDIT: And my name.

Sadly, there is more Chemistry going on in my Geography Class than there is in my Chemistry Class.

Sadly, there is more Chemistry going on in my Geography Class than there is in my Chemistry Class.
Whore.