tabacco

Idle Thumbs Mastodon

Do you miss the fun days of Twitter, when it wasn't full of (as many) garbage people and was way harder to use?

We've set up a Mastodon instance just for Idle Thumbs at https://idlethumbs.social

What is Mastodon? It's basically decentralized Twitter. You can follow people from other instances, but your local timeline will always show you post from just the Idle Thumbs instance. It's a delight. Also it's free and you can just go sign up.

Great news, a couple of days ago I came to this forum to check if we had a Mastodon :)

Thanks for doing this. Being in a smaller server kind of reminds me of early Twitter. It's nice.

I'm delighted that there's an idle thumbs mastodon instance but I'm already so deeply embedded into mastodon.social that I don't want to switch instances.

still, though, radical, I'll follow everyone.

I've already got an account on another instance, but I'd love to have more cool people to follow. I updated my signature with my account.

Sorry, I'm on vacation and haven't been able to check it out. Rails likes to slowly allocate memory and eventually start swapping. Will check it out in the morning.

Should be fixed now, sorry about that!

Update: temporarily down for a few while I migrate all the upload assets to S3. Sorry! IT's back for real now, and images have been migrated to S3 so we don't run out of space again.

I appreciate that the Idle Thumbs instance is still going. I know it's not the most active thing but Mastodon is far more pleasant for me to use than Twitter

It was recently updated and Doug and I are both there daily. 

Is there anything special I would need to do to join up on the instance? With Twitter currently being even more of a dumpster fire than usual, I figured hopping on a familiar Mastodon instance would be a good idea. 

I don't think there's anything special required, no. Just join like you would any other instance. iirc joining is fairly simple, it's then figuring out how to use the actual site that's the tricky part!

Thanks, Ben! Yeah, I'm signing up for the first time and figuring things out has been a mildly daunting experience haha. I'll stick it out though since it seems to be where all of the cool people are fleeing to as a Twitter alternative.