Travis

[Released] George Fan

Now available on itch.io: George Fan

George Fan, creator of Plants vs. Zombies and Octogeddon, was the titular guest of Designer Notes Episode 28. George Fan: The Game is completely inspired by discussion from the episode. 

FullTitleScreen.thumb.PNG.3dd2043d7428251cff9d354b5b2d489b.PNG

Designer Notes has become one of my favorite podcasts, and the George Fan episode is one that I particularly enjoyed. Soren and George had some good laughs, and I figured I could bash together a game out of it.

Since I was crunched for time (and energy), I relied heavily on the Unity Asset store, and other free/affordable resources. This was my first jam to really do this outside of sounds, and I definitely couldn't have made a project even this simple without them. 

Thanks to all in the Idle Thumbs and Wizard Jam communities for holding this jam and supporting each other. Can't wait to play your games!

P.S. If George Fan is reading this, I realize this probably seems weird. I apologize for that, but I assure you I just thought this would be a fun jam game to make and play. Also, listening to bits of this episode again made me download Plants vs. Zombies (the first one) again and I am more into it than any mobile game I've been into for years. Can't wait to see what you come out with next!

44 minutes ago, infamous space turtle said:

I am dumb

!!!

(Thanks for playing!!)

Spoiler

The long walk is a good buildup to the one joke at the end :). I think, given that most people would probably not play the game more than once, it might be better to place the 'game ideas' folder directly in the player's path.

Thanks for playing, everyone! 

I agree that the layout could be better Teljoor, but I also figured it's OK if that goes missed. 

I played your game, and I liked it a lot. You can watch my reaction here:

I am wondering if...

Spoiler

the game ideas book was supposed to fly off like it did, because it was very funny to me.

@RubixsQube: same thing happened and I wondered that as well.

This is very cool and surprising. I agree with others - good pacing/buildup, and a well exectuted ending.

@RubixsQube @pdotjpg

Glad you guys liked it! I enjoyed your video, Kevin. I did add in that fail-safe mechanism to keep GAME IDEAS from interfering with the other part because this is the Idle Thumbs community and we all love to do ridiculous things with game systems. I enjoyed thing singing in the video, too.

Boy howdy, do I appreciate games like this :)

Spoiler

The "you must press 'Y'" was a good gag, and the whole payoff being "You Are Dumb" over and over was goofy and great.

And the pull back from the computer screen with a black background was a nice transition.

2 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

Boy howdy, do I appreciate games like this :)

Hide contents

The "you must press 'Y'" was a good gag, and the whole payoff being "You Are Dumb" over and over was goofy and great.

And the pull back from the computer screen with a black background was a nice transition.

George Fan is the true designer here. Thanks for playing, glad you liked it!