Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 438: Procedural Content and Strategy Layers in Games

Three Moves Ahead 438:

Three Moves Ahead 438

Procedural Content and Strategy Layers in Games
It used to be enough for mainstream games to claim they had "RPG elements". Now we see games with base-building and "strategic layers" - what does that mean? Can one truly take two disparate genres and combine them in a meaningful way? And does procedural generation of content ever live up to its promises? State of Decay 2 ends up being the whipping boy as Rob, Steven Strom, Rowan, and Fraser discuss all of the above.

State of Decay 2, Ni No Kuni 2, Little King's Story, Suikoden, Stronghold, Shadow of War, Pillars of Eternity 2, Yakuza 6, Fire Emblem Warriors, Bladestorm?

“Sure it sucks having the wrong parts of your genre adopted by more popular games, but at least they didn’t take the name as well.” - the roguelike community.

A strategy layer is something that I'll almost always like in a game. There's something about a strategy layer that makes a game feel bigger than it is, even very simplistic ones like the one from Mass Effect 2.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but is 3MA on a break, too? Been a while since the last ep and I miss it. :wub:

Yes, I (we) apologize that there has been a gap. We try very hard to avoid missing a single week - much less several - but some personal-life issues have come up and it caused a hiccup in our schedule. Sometimes real life gets nasty and in the way.

We have several shows planned and will be back on track very soon. Sorry for the wait.

No worries, Michael. I hope that you all see inquiries from us in the audience as concern for well-being rather than a demand to push through personal life issues and get that episode out. :) 

Yeah, no need to apologize obviously -- was just wondering because the entirety of Idle Thumbs feels so quiet at the moment. :)