coughlinjon

[RELEASED] The Octopus Affair

!!Released!! https://coughlinjon.itch.io/the-octopus-affair

The Octopus Affair: an Eyes Of game

Concept

You are the first super-intelligent octopus. 

Structure

FPO (First Person Octopus)

Do the things a smart octopus does

Team

Caleb Sullivan - new to Wizard Jam!!!

Justin Terry - (WJ5 - Kill the Last Alien)

Jon Coughlin - (WJ1, 3, 4 - previous Eyes Of games)

Progress

Justin has built a generic interaction system for objects in our game. It is awesome and I am excited to add props ASAP. He built the whole thing in two hours while watching Netflix.

Caleb has built a whole aquarium simulation with fish of different sizes and positions on the food chain. This is the coolest thing in our game so far :D VmWZqbn.gif

I have begun building the Octopus controller. The octopus currently walks laterally and swimshjGgoAK.gif

1 hour ago, brendonsmall said:

This shader is relevant to your interests: 

I tried it a while back and it's pretty cool. No animations required! :)

AHHHHH!!! I knew Abzu did this, but had no idea how to do it myself. Thank you so much for the link :D:D:D :dopefish:

This looks bonkers in the best way possible. That aquarium simulation is mesmerizing. Can't wait to see how this shapes up!

Whoaaaa I love the way the fish move in the aquarium! I could watch that all day

So, the simplest way to do this IK arms rig is to make the chain length the whole arm, but that doesn't allow me to bend arms more than once, which is bumming my novice animator brain out. The result is arms like the gif below, in which I only have one major bend per arm. My octopus isn't as squiggly as I would like right now, but it's probably as complex as I should make it for a two week game jam. Also, I made the head floppy and put breathing into the idle animation, but this is a first person game lol so I don't know how much of that the player will see. Similarly, octopuses seem to be able to look in 360 degrees - the crawl in any direction, they swim in what looks to me to be a backward configuration, so I have no idea right now how I am going to map camera control to body movement. I think it will be a fun design problem.

ccp2nHY.gif

Caleb has refined his fish and continued building our aquarium tank. His work continues to be the most impressive part of our game :D

VxvlE9L.gif

1 hour ago, FartSatchel said:

Resisting the urge to imagine Flower fly-throughs in that aquarium

good idea :)

Alright, the most basic animations are in - they're all a single frame besides the breathing, but they'll give me a sense of whether or not my movement dynamics are working well. Next step is to attach the camera to the head bone and see what it's like in first person.

IYp3QR2.gif

2 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

Next step is to attach the camera to the head bone and see what it's like in first person.

The camera bone connected to the... HEAD BONE.

3 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

Next step is to attach the camera to the head bone and see what it's like in first person.

Oh god... please don't forget us people with motion sickness :lol:

The breathing looks so cool! 

I like the octopus animation and that aquarium is mesmerizing!