Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

E3 2018

Figured we could pull together discussion of new stuff and info from E3 into one place.

So far E3 has done their announcements https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/9/17444646/ea-e3-2018-trailers-news

The only thing from their conference i care about  is that they are turning command and conquer into some sort of mobile game, sad to see that happen to one of my childhood favorites :(

Out of the trailers that's been released so far I'm most excited about Stormland.

A nice-looking open world VR action game.

Other stuff I'm hoping to see more of:

Ghost of Tsushima - samurai-game by the developers of the Infamous series.

Creed: Rise to Glory - VR boxing game by Survios, one of the best VR devs.

From Software's Next Game - I'm all Souled-out, so I'm hoping for something different. Perhaps a new Tenchu game?

Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Metroid Prime 4 - Because my Switch is gathering dust atm.

and also TLOU2, Death Stranding, and Cyberpunk 2077, natch.

Just seen on Twitter that people think Cyberpunk 2077 will be shown at Microsoft’s presser in a couple of hours. 10x more interested in watching it now

never know might see resedient evil 2 remake, although that strikes me more as a Sony conference trailer.... WAIT. Sony’s only showing four games. So we might see a lot of good shit at Microsoft. 

Pumped for Just Cause 4

I am still not sure about cyberpunk, I am interested but Witcher 2 & 3 both failed to grab me. We know so little that I can't form a real opinion.

Sea of Solitude looks neat. Unravel 2 looks neat. Cyberpunk I'm kinda lukewarm about, honestly! Just Cause 4 I will happily watch Chris Remo stream :)

I didn't like Witcher 1 & 2, but loved 3. So CD Project Red are only getting better and better in my estimates, and Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing. Honestly tho, I'm most excited about that car. God, I hope I get to drive the car!

The new From Software game has been revealed and while it isn't a new Tenchu game like I'd hoped, it sure as hell looks a lot like Tenchu!

Or, a Souls game with a lot of stealth elements added. Sign me up!

What else, what else... oh yeah. Hell on earth.

O_______________O

Sekiro doesn't look as visually interesting to me as From's other games.

B-B-Bethesda just teased Elder Scrolls VI last night (it was night in Europe). Location-wise, the landscape looks like a Hammerfell-y, Highrock-y scene, so back to the days of Daggerfall. But they could be messing with us and turn the camera and BOOM, there are the forests of Valenwood or the swamps of Blackmarsh. Anyway, ES6 won't see the light of day until way into 2020, probably, so this is just the first of years of waiting.

So we now have Bioshock Infinite, Doom Eternal and Halo Infinite. Is this the new "Origins"? Will all games with an ouroborosian moniker be bound to include a parallel universe plot?

EDIT: oh wait, Duke Nukem Forever didn't, so I guess not.

5 hours ago, Roderick said:

B-B-Bethesda just teased Elder Scrolls VI last night (it was night in Europe). Location-wise, the landscape looks like a Hammerfell-y, Highrock-y scene, so back to the days of Daggerfall. But they could be messing with us and turn the camera and BOOM, there are the forests of Valenwood or the swamps of Blackmarsh. Anyway, ES6 won't see the light of day until way into 2020, probably, so this is just the first of years of waiting.

Best thing about ES6 not coming out for a while is that maybe Skywind will actually finish instead of moving to the new engine in perpetuity

8 hours ago, Roderick said:

2020 is optimistic. It's coming after Starlight, which is already said to be next-gen.

Have to say that I thought the reveal was weak, especially compared to Skyrim.

2 hours ago, eot said:

2020 is optimistic. It's coming after Starlight, which is already said to be next-gen.

Have to say that I thought the reveal was weak, especially compared to Skyrim.

Yes, that was slightly puzzling. Skyrim had a rocking entrance, with a full trailer and pumping music and setting, and I believe it was also a little further into development. Bethesda usually isn't keen on letting us wait two or three years, preferring a closer announce-release loop.

What I really found intere-- DOUBLE THE DEMONS??

Hold up, Doom designer: Double the demons is not something you just say. You all spent years making Doom 4, and then scrapping it to spend years again making a totally new, unique type of shooter. Designing one enemy is hard, and an impactful composition of enemies can take a long time to reign in. You doubled it?

I'm really champing, and chomping, at the bit to see what DOOM Eternal is.

Could it really be a stripped down fountain of enemies, like Devil Daggers? Could it be a rogue-like?

Segueing into my next topic, I've played many hours of Devil May Cry 4's Bloody Palace run-based survival mode. It's my favourite way to play it, and I think it could fit DOOM like a glove. I'd love to see it.

Devil May Cry 4 is one of my favourite games, and their DMC reboot was not bad either. The reboot was not as tightly designed and didn't quite stick with me, so I'm really trying to parse out whether this newly announced game is really Devil May Cry 5, or "DmC 2".

The old designer is working on it, so... should be a step up, right? I hope so, cos a step up from Devil May Cry 4 would really knock my socks off.

(I'd embed the video, but I'm on my phone, I'll edit it in later)

They finally did it! I talked about it last year after Microsoft announced Xbox back compatibility. But yeah, Devolver Digital are doing Metal Wolf Chaos remake.

So excited!

I worry that the title of Doom Eternal implies they might be doing something slightly different to a conventional linear single player game. Could it be that they've leveraged SnapMap (tm) to produce a sort of procedurally-generated world in which you could scamper around doing Doom, possibly with other players doing Doom too? Luv 2 do Doom but I don't know about Doom-via-Destiny.

I watched the new Death Stranding trailer this morning over breakfast, as I have done for what seems like two or three years now. It looks entrancing, and I still have no clue what the game is or if it will ever come out. It occurred to me that the baby-powered clicky-flash arm is not a million miles from the directional sound indicators in MGS4 and Peace Walker. And presumably there is some more conventional combat in there that we haven't seen yet - what with your baby-man having a gun, and Mads Mikkelsen out there somewhere, also with a gun. But what happens in between, who knows.

Nintendo's Direct starts in a little over 7 hours, which also happens to be about 2AM for me. Which sucks, but I know I'm not gonna be able to sleep since I'm always so excited for Nintendo at E3. So I will sacrifice sleep to catch it. Unfortunately Nintendo is also doing the Splatoon World Championship finals 4 hours after that, then followed up immediately by the Smash Switch Invitational. Basically I'm gonna be a wreck tomorrow, but I'm gonna love every minute of hoisting myself.

Apart from Splatoon/Smash content, I am super duper excited to see what Metroid Prime 4 has in store. 

I'll be watching the Nintendo conf grenade on a huge ass television with former [N]Gamer magazine colleagues. Will flip my lid if they show cool Metroid Prime 4 stuff.

I'm hoping that Doom Eternal is More Doom 2016 because that's pretty much all it needs to be. Too much elaboration and you tarnish the pure simplicity of Doom 2016. It's not a game that needs loot. It doesn't need roguelike elements. It'd probably even be fine if it was a real throwback and was a mission-pack sequel, although saying 'double the demons' implies more variety in the bestiary, which will definitely help.

Can someone explain to me why there's people jizzing their pants over Assassin's Creed Odyssey?

How is it not going to be the exact same thing we've had before?

That's what they always do. The same game, with maybe one new feature that varies from "changes very little" to "changes nothing".

11 minutes ago, Saltimbanco said:

Can someone explain to me why there's people jizzing their pants over Assassin's Creed Odyssey?

How is it not going to be the exact same thing we've had before?

That's what they always do. The same game, with maybe one new feature that varies from "changes very little" to "changes nothing".

Origins was a good game that changed quite a bit from previous ones, it also had a very pretty world to explore. The combat system was miles better than the last AC game I played.

Not sure if I will buy at launch but I will totally pick it up. I am down for more of the same.

Since I'm being a party pooper, might as well give my opinion on the samurai games of the show:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Looks amazing. I've been a fan of the Souls series since Demon's Souls, but if I'm to be perfectly honest, I like Bloodborne, and even Nioh, way better. I like the faster, more twitchy combat. Sekiro doesn't appear to be as fast, but it seems to have a way bigger emphasis on parrying. I only got halfway okay at that in Nioh. Looking forward to learning the ropes here :lol: Also really digging the Hookshot and how it will affect exploration. As well as how stealth seems to finally be more viable with this one. Finally, I think Miyazaki is at his best when he's crafting a world from the ground up, so I'm glad he's doing it again with a new IP.

Nioh 2 - This tells me absolutely nothing. It's really just a "Heads up! This game is in production, okay?". Still, I'm happy that it is. I loved the first one. I just don't like it too much when games get announced too soon and then we have to wait several years until we can finally play it.

Ghost of Tsushima - Looks okay. I've loved Sly Cooper and the first two Infamous games. Here though... Frankly, it might just be that I'm sick of "cinematic" games, or open-world "jacks of all trades, masters of none" games, but I'm not sold on the gameplay. I'd need to see more of it, but without further information, it looks a bit too simple for my taste.

I'm excited to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Beyond Good and Evil 2, and to watch a playthrough of Death Stranding in about 5 years.

I hope Ghost of Tsushima will turn out good because the game is beautiful and the one-hit sword kills look really satisfying.

Despite enjoying the latest Assassin's Creed more than the few previous ones, I think I may skip the upcoming one. It seems to be identical to the Egyptian one, and I already felt bored by the end of that game.

I wish Nintendo had spent a little more time on the Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I felt that I did not hear about every tweak they made to the gameplay compared with the previous games.