Steve

Tone Control 26: Robert Yang

Tone Control 26:

Tone Control 26

Robert Yang
Robert Yang is awesome. Educator, advocate, and subversive game developer all in one, his work focuses on issues of gay culture, sex and sexual politics, consent, surveillance, and the absurdity of digital eroticism. He also does great talks at conferences like GDC, where I caught up with him this year to chat about his work and outlook on what games can be.

Games Discussed: Counter-Strike, Half-Life 2, the Radiator mods, Hurt Me Plenty, Succulent, Cobra Club, Stick Shift, The Tearoom

After listening to this [excellent] recording, I youtube'd Succulent and Stick Shift. It did not disappoint.

I loved this. Especially fun was hearing Steve being made uncomfortable by Robert, and clearly enjoying the discomfort, and Robert enjoying both the discomforting effects and the way in which Steve was enjoying it. Appropriately many levels for a couple of level-designers :)

4 hours ago, osmosisch said:

I loved this. Especially fun was hearing Steve being made uncomfortable by Robert, and clearly enjoying the discomfort, and Robert enjoying both the discomforting effects and the way in which Steve was enjoying it. Appropriately many levels for a couple of level-designers :)

Ha, yeah, I hope it came off OK! I think it can be like that, trying to speak well in someone else's cultural territory without embarrassing yourself... but I hope it was an interesting conversation worth having!

On 5/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Steve said:

Ha, yeah, I hope it came off OK! I think it can be like that, trying to speak well in someone else's cultural territory without embarrassing yourself... but I hope it was an interesting conversation worth having!

I'm not in his territory either so I can't speak for that but it seemed fine to me, and extremely interesting.

Also seems that the valve/twitch censorship discussion is becoming more tense http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/valve-sexual-content-1202815629/

This was a really great episode. Shed some new light on the design choices Robert has made in his games so far, which was really interesting! :tup: