Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 433: Frostpunk

Three Moves Ahead 433:

Three Moves Ahead 433

Frostpunk
It's the most Hobbesian Three Moves Ahead ever as Rob, Jonathan Bolding, and Xalavier Nelson talk about Frostpunk. This episode covers all of the pillars of Three Moves Ahead's moral compass: Megalomania, child labor, Dune references, and the knowledge that the death of faceless numbers will always be preferred if advancing the common good. Or the tech tree.

Frostpunk

Loved this episode! 

I don't usually play games that are so heartstring-yanking, but I liked the discussion about the tension between what the game says in its narrative vs. its mechanics. That was very insightful and productive. 

Hoping this discussion thread will have some "trolley-car problem" jokes

Having watched the game (it's much easier to get to watch than to play at the moment), I found it very interesting in how it makes one think about how much we should sacrifice in the face of monumental danger. It fails in the points you got to: creating a connection with the villagers by providing their details; and by judging you in the end. At a younger age, from my very privileged position I would say morals above survival, for life is nothing without our humanity. Now I'm not so sure, and I really doubt anyone who would pick an answer with no second thought - especially since you're choosing, potentially, for every other human alive (which you aren't, but you can't be sure in the middle of the crisis - at the very least, it's doubtful you'll meet them anytime soon). There was the added dimension of the Youtube comments constantly calling out that he was doomed, he didn't heed the warning and failed to prepare... but he pulled it off, slowly fiddling with the levers the game gave him.

What I can shame all of you on is not mentioning the horribly tense music. Even while just watching, it made me constantly fear the impeding doom.

I think this episode would have benefitted from taking the conclusion and making it the intro. Listening to these stories and moral dilemmas is entertaining, but “interesting to experience once” is the standard impression about these kinds of games. I’d like to hear more about how the mechanics and available strategies specifically reduce or improve the replayability of the game. 

So, if one were to be in the mood for a winter-themed strategy game, should it be Frostpunk or Northgard?