Jake

Idle Thumbs 318: Live In The Cloud Now

Idle Thumbs 318:

Idle Thumbs 318

Live In The Cloud Now
Everything keeps resetting, but still you progress. You got the sword, the watering can, but you died five times in the process. The teens burned down your pirate ship while you were away. Your audio equipment is degrading at an unsettling rate. Fortunately everything is safe, now that you live in the cloud. Now that you're live in the cloud.

Note: We recorded this one with every host remote, and as a result it's a little lower key than usual, but we hope you enjoy it all the same. For a weird experience, watch the video version.

Discussed: Minit, The Legend of Zelda, Hyper Light Drifter, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Sea of Thieves, Imbroglio, Cinco Paus, Jackbox Party Packs, You Don't Know Jack (2018)

I want to try Minit in part because I'm really curious how they made the 1 minute limit work. It sounds potentially very frustrating, but based on all the positive reviews and reactions, is not.

I think one nice aspect that wasn't mentioned in the cast is that you don't have to wait the full minute every time: you can restart a fresh minute if it feels appropriate.

+ It has a clever website http://minitgame.com/

++ There's also Half-Minute Hero (which I haven't played either) with a similar concept but very different looking gameplay.

2 minutes ago, atte said:

I think one nice aspect that wasn't mentioned in the cast is that you don't have to wait the full minute every time: you can restart a fresh minute if it feels appropriate.

++ There's also Half-Minute Hero (which I haven't played either) with a similar concept but very different looking gameplay.

Yes that’s true! It’s an important feature. 

The Minit segment got very rambly and repetitive and I cut a lot out including the part where we talk about pressing C to kill yourself. I tried to keep it in but it was in the middle of a conversation that is basically a slow paced duplicate of what’s there. 

5 hours ago, atte said:

I want to try Minit in part because I'm really curious how they made the 1 minute limit work. It sounds potentially very frustrating, but based on all the positive reviews and reactions, is not.

I am not a person who has a super high threshold (or time for) frustrating games. I was expecting it to be more frantic and frustrating (and at certain portions it can defintely feel a tiny bit frustrating) but it was actually very fun and rewarding and everything is finely-tuned so that you always feel like you *can* make it in 60 seconds.

45 minutes ago, BigJKO said:

I am not a person who has a super high threshold (or time for) frustrating games. I was expecting it to be more frantic and frustrating (and at certain portions it can defintely feel a tiny bit frustrating) but it was actually very fun and rewarding and everything is finely-tuned so that you always feel like you *can* make it in 60 seconds.

Nice to hear. At this point, I really should just trust that if JW is involved, the gameplay will be delicately trimmed and tuned.

6 hours ago, Jake said:

The Minit segment got very rambly and repetitive and I cut a lot out including the part where we talk about pressing C to kill yourself. I tried to keep it in but it was in the middle of a conversation that is basically a slow paced duplicate of what’s there. 

Oh, I see... That's a kind of a detail that I think some won't even consider and some automatically assume it's in there, so having to leave it out wasn't that bad (though it did make the game sound 55% more appealing to me).

I really enjoy listening to Nick's adventures while playing Sea of Thieves. He is a good and funny storyteller.

I was introduced to DayZ a couple years ago by watching videos on YouTube of somebody playing it. This person played the game as an RPG (making up a story as you go that fits within the game), kinda similar to how Nick is experiencing Sea of Thieves. It reminds me of watching those DayZ videos way back. It's really enjoyable to listen. I keep hearing that Sea of Thieves seems to lack lots of content, but I hope to hear at least one other story from Nick about that game. 

On 4/20/2018 at 8:27 PM, hitopp said:

I really enjoy listening to Nick's adventures while playing Sea of Thieves. He is a good and funny storyteller.

I was introduced to DayZ a couple years ago by watching videos on YouTube of somebody playing it. This person played the game as an RPG (making up a story as you go that fits within the game), kinda similar to how Nick is experiencing Sea of Thieves. It reminds me of watching those DayZ videos way back. It's really enjoyable to listen. I keep hearing that Sea of Thieves seems to lack lots of content, but I hope to hear at least one other story from Nick about that game. 

Yeah, the Sea of Thieves story was fantastic. Definitely one of those games that I personally probably would never play but I love hearing about. Wish Nick would stream some of his adventures again from time to time but I guess he's over it.

I think I have to give Minit another try, I've played it for half an hour or so and while I understand what it was doing, the 60 seconds thing felt like such an artificial gimmick. 

Hope we'll get some SpyParty talk next episode, the game is finally (kinda) out, it's amazing, yet everyone seems to keep ignore it, aaaahhh!