Jake

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online March 2018

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online March 2018
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from the Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs soon!

Discussed: Your first gaming system, watching every film that ever has won--or ever will win--Best Picture at the Academy Awards, adapting our podcasts to the popular medium of anime, ASMR, #ASMRsensations, bay area restaurants' inability to stay open because our local economy is a disaster, eating take-out when in a video game development late night hell, exercise and self care, Amazon Alexa as the nexus of everything we've ever discussed, how to behave at a video game convention, the best year of our lives, 2014, The Matrix, All Robots Go To Heaven, eating foreign cuisine, a malevolent chef aiming to prepare the most disgusting possible dish of your favorite foreign cuisine, video game user experience design, designing an Idle Thumbs-themed room escape, changing one thing about the world, horrifying consequences, noticing all Academy Award-winners suddenly change to reveal possible future outcomes for mankind, enjoying things you thought you'd hate, Patreon postcards, an update on the status of George Broussard's Hamburger

In Idle Thumbs 300 (I think) a reader wrote in with descriptions of how they imagined the hosts prior to seeing pictures. Nick was described as possibly being “very muscular” and everyone laughed nervously. I’m glad to see Nick is shaping himself to meet this expectation in the gym. 

I had an idea listening to some of these questions. What about a new short-format podcast answering questions about games development, inspired by the writing podcast Writing Excuses where each episode is 15 mins long and covers one topic. This means you can record a bunch at once making scheduling less of a hassle. Qs you could answer in 15 mins could be things like

- how to network at GDC, other cons

- what to look for when outsourcing music / programming / testing

- how to get started with Unity or other tools

- how to approach friends, family for financial or other help without taking advantage

My suggested hosts are Jake, Sean and Steve even though Steve would need to be a telepresence. I admit this is partly because the dumb name I came up with for this podcast is "Talking Simulator."

I'm sure someone in the chat brought this up but in 2007 they released Pirates of the Caribbean 3 At World's End:

WP7Y0Z2.png

which didn't win the Academy Award for Best Picture that year, probably staving off the doom foretold by its subtitle. That being said, in a very monkey's paw curse turn, instead of the world ending, the world kept existing and WE GOT OUR CURRENT SITUATION

You missed one advantage of knowing all future Oscar winning movies:  working as an agent.  You'll know all the best actors before they are famous and get them signed up and know which movies to sign them on to.  You'd look like a genius!

I loved the discussion of places closing before the internet archived the existence of everything! Places in St. Louis that I miss and that are "remembered" in maybe one Google result: Mama Josephine's, a soul food restaurant in Shaw that got killed by rising rents; Six Rows Brewery and Buffalo Brewery in Midtown, both beer-and-burger joints that couldn't survive the summer slump in customers; and Tarahumara, a Mexican restaurant specializing in tortas that was always understaffed and so people stopped coming.

Why no, I'm not cringing and screaming internally about the time I met Jake at PAX West last year and we totally had a convo that awkwardly petered out when a different Campo/Thumbs fan showed up to talk to Jake while we were already talking. 

Edit: eventually the other fan finished saying what he wanted to say to Jake and then we went back to talking, but you can't really recover from that so it just became an awkward and mumbly convo on my part until I left. 

Is there ever going to be a thread for the April Ruination?  Because I have a horrible story to drop into it.