Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Why can't robots just do all the work: Surviving Mars

So far I am enjoying it aside from having no idea what I am doing, how to do anything efficiently (or correctly in general). I am finding it to be a lot more compelling than Cities: Skylines due to everything feeling a lot more critical, I had a water shortage that I was scrambling to deal with so as to not have my colonists die. In Cities I doubt I would have cared as much. The smaller scale probably helps a lot with that since having 1 of 12 colonists die feels a lot worse than hundreds of people out of tens of thousands (am I a monster?)

I played for about an hour last night, looking forward to sinking my Sunday into it. I might restart because I did some of the usually building game mistakes like thinking I need 5 solar panels and 5 wind turbines and 2 concrete mines and now I can't afford to bring in any colonists. :/

I really like the aesthetic and the near futurism vibe of it all. One thing I can see myself wanting that I know isn't there is a better ability to set up the drones. I want to set paths so that there's one filling up a concrete store and moving it to a specific space etc. but it seems like you kind of have to leave them to do their own thing.

I played a little bit of this yesterday, but the on-ramping is... seemingly non-existent? Is there a decent tutorial video series somewhere or something?

3 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

I played a little bit of this yesterday, but the on-ramping is... seemingly non-existent? Is there a decent tutorial video series somewhere or something?

is pretty helpful

9 minutes ago, Paul Smith said:

A somewhat negative look from Rob Z (in his day job):

'Surviving Mars' Never Breathes Life into a Dead Planet

Its funny because I feel exactly the opposite, I found cities got really dull as soon as I set up the basic city. Where as in Surviving Mars I feel like I'm always on the edge of cascading failures and colony collapse which keeps me going.

1 hour ago, Cordeos said:

Its funny because I feel exactly the opposite, I found cities got really dull as soon as I set up the basic city. Where as in Surviving Mars I feel like I'm always on the edge of cascading failures and colony collapse which keeps me going.

Yeah, I haven't played Surviving Mars, but I felt the same about Cities: Skylines. Once you'd finished growing your town into a city, there wasn't really any added texture or challenge to the experience, not unless you attempted something fabulously risky, expensive, and unnecessary, like the overpass project Rob describes.