clyde

Far Cry 5

I'm taking the opportunity to jump into the hype-cycle for Far Cry 5. I've been watching the promotional material and I've decided I'll buy it at release to enjoy the conversation about it. I skipped 4 and Primal and never finished 3, but enjoyed my time on the first island. 

From what I gather the tone of 5 is going to be rather awkward, but to be honest I'm looking forward to that. There seems to be a lot of designs of the characters, settings, and writing that are are sloppily derived from the more extreme media-versions of U.S. politics circa 1990-today. I'm looking forward to the satire that hits home and criticism of the inevitable poor taste. I expect it to be a lot like GTA5 in this way, but I suspect it will have a slightly different sensibility and I'm looking forward to reacting to that. 

Mechanically, I'm looking forward to enemy AI's that revive each other and friendly NPC's that lool like they will have agency that is broken in funny ways. I saw that there is an automated driving feature that I'll try for novelty too.

The setting looks like it will be pleasant to spend time in, especially with all the simulated wildlife. I am concerned about how I'll handle scenes of torture though.

I'm also hoping to try out the co-op mode at some point but I am horrible at scheduling out time for it so I doubt I'll play much of the game that way. 

I know I'm just listing features of an unreleased game, but I'm excited and having a good time!

Yeah if you didn't even feel like finishing FC3 you didn't miss much with 4 and Primal. They were just more of the same. Primal in particular mostly just stripped out a lot of stuff from the previous games without replacing it with anything interesting. I hope FC5 will shake things up a bit and break out of the formular FC3 set, but so far I haven't been blown away by the gameplay footage. Glad to see they're improving vehicle handling and adding planes. The vehicle handling has pretty much been the same since FC2, which is to say "perfunctory". They did add in auto-steering already in FC4, good for drive-bys.

I miiiiight get it on release. I did love both FC2 (for it's wonderful depressing mood) and FC3 (for it's sublime stealth-action gameplay, and the wingsuit), tho I've been less and less impressed with the later entries.

The idea of putting assets in from a few of the different franchises is pretty cool.

"A Ubisoft rep also said in an email to Kotaku that Far Cry Arcade will include the exact same feature set across both consoles and PC" - Really cool, love when games give creative tools to the players. I got a lot out of the map editor in far cry instincts back when I only had an xbox and no access to pc modding/map making.

I am going to get Far Cry 5 because open world games with sniping are something I cannot resist. I am not sold on the DLC, I get annoyed with DLC that is totally separate from the base game and though I enjoyed Blood Dragon well enough the FC4 Yeti DLC was uninspired. I am especially wary of that Vietnam one, I fear it will be the classic Ra Ra USA portrayal. We were super duper the bad guys in South East Asia and they way it calls out facing vietcong made me cringe.

I'm playing through Blood Dragon for the first time while I wait for 5 (I got it for free at some point). The first mission was a slog and I don't think the way they did the neon aesthetic, cut-scenes, or character design holds up in 2018. I'm going to play more though. I'm looking forward to seeing how much things have changed since 3 by butting these up against each other.

I might do the same^, last I played was 3. Think I might get this for the map maker. I’d like to do some level design and make some multiplayer maps. Just not sure my computer will be able to run it. 

Far Cry 5 is OUT!  Metacritic averages are in the 80%'s, with XBone version coming in a little higher than PC and PS4, for some reason. I'll probably pick it up later today, tho I haven't decided whether to go with PC or PS4 version yet.

Polygon gave it a 6.5, saying it's a very enjoyable game with by a terrible story. So... it's an open-world Ubigame, in other words.

I have it preloaded, but I lost power in a snow-storm and it isn't scheduled to be back til Thursday.

4 hours ago, Henke said:

I'll probably pick it up later today, tho I haven't decided whether to go with PC or PS4 version yet.

I'm in the U.S. and I can sometimes play games on voice-chat between 1pm-9pm GMT on weekdays. If you don't have anyone you want to play with on PS4 and those sometimes are good for you, I'd be interested in doing some co-op on PC. I have no idea if the server-connection would be good enough if I'm on the east-coast of the U.S. and you are wherever you are. 

The Polygon article seems to think it's a fantastic game, but is so disappointed about the missed opportunity of actually saying something meaningful with its story, that it heavily berates it. I'd say that's a fair judgment. I'm still interested in playing Far Cry 5, but I was hoping they wouldn't pull their punches.

I've stopped expecting enough from the writing in Ubigames to even be disappointed. At best they manage to create a great atmosphere (Far Cry 2) or have some likeable characters (Watch Dogs 2), but I think the last Ubisoft title where the storytelling actually was the main strength of the game was 15 years ago with Beyond Good & Evil.

54 minutes ago, clyde said:

I'm in the U.S. and I can sometimes play games on voice-chat between 1pm-9pm GMT on weekdays. If you don't have anyone you want to play with on PS4 and those sometimes are good for you, I'd be interested in doing some co-op on PC.

Sure! I'm planning on picking it up towards the weekend so I can really deep dive into it, but we could do some co-op next week.

This is me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998066822

Most of the articles I have read say it has done little to nothing to upgrade the gameplay systems, is it worth getting now to coop or should I wait for a sale/when I get bored of Surviving Mars?

3 hours ago, Cordeos said:

Most of the articles I have read say it has done little to nothing to upgrade the gameplay systems, is it worth getting now to coop or should I wait for a sale/when I get bored of Surviving Mars?

I don't think there is much urgency. I haven't played a Far Cry game since 3 and this is a very pretty iteration of that lineage for sure. I played about 2 hours and the world is stuffed with common mission types, nice looking settings, and rare one-offs that are quite neat to discover. The gameplay feels very similar, but the NPCs are janky fun. I got in a car with some guy because it seemed like the right thing to do and it was absurd in a fun way. There is some fun to be had for sure.
I suspect I'll be playing this slowly for a month or so. It's a nice world to hang out in when a cut-scene isn't happening.

If you are afraid of some legitimately surprising one-offs and one reference amazingly specific to this community on the tutorial-island being spoiled, then it may be urgent for you.

16 hours ago, clyde said:

one reference amazingly specific to this community on the tutorial-island

Do the cult censor the word *********?

Ben X got it.

I didn't want to ruin it for Cordeos, but here we are 😕

I'm enjoying this a lot. I turned off the waypoint and compass HUDs and the world being stuffed full is no longer a problem for me.

If you've played a Far Cry game you know how an altercation on the road ends up continuing as more cars arrive and such? Well add an NPC that fights with you along to that.

This game has a Red Dead Redemption feel for me. The setting is lovely (I have a GTX970 and the foliage and lighting are very nice) and there are a lot of little things you run into where NPCs need help because they are being beat up. So me and this dude with a bow that is running with me came down a hillside at night because we saw three enemies with a pickup beating a civilian up on the road. When I start attacking my buddy lights his arrow on fire and shoots it at them which of course spreads. I should have known this would happen; I asked him to shoot a deer when we were in a field on top of a mountain and he lit his arrow then too and set the deer on fire. Anyway, fire is spreading, it's fine, more enemies come, we kill them too. But me and my buddy are using a truck for cover and all of a sudden the right side of my screen is lit like by a torch and I'm like "what is that?" My Buddy has a flaming arrow and he's aiming it saying "Don't worry, I got 'em" and I'm thinking "O.K. I'm glad you see one cuz I thought they were all taken care of (I had a lot of the HUD off at this point)" and he then shoots the civilian we were rescuing point blank with a flaming arrow. Fire is spreading, I go to the civilian to revive him (still on fire). We are beside a truck that is on fire, it explodes immediately after the revive. The explosion blows my buddy into the woods, so all I hear is "Help me, I'm not going to make it much longer." I don't have the HUD on so I'm moving around searching for him by the sound of his suffering. I find him and revive him. It was really fun. It is very similar to Far Cry 3 but I think the setting is FAR MORE interesting, not just the militia/prepper stuff (which I do enjoy) but mostly it's the hunting-cabin/U.S. national parks feel of it. The characters are written and performed in a Rockstar style. They are mostly parodies, but I don't play many games with that anymore so I'm enjoying the qualities of these performances that time will not be kind to. I like the theatrical nature of the goofy characters and their parody circumstances.

10 hours ago, clyde said:

Ben X got it.

I didn't want to ruin it for Cordeos, but here we are 😕

Wait, really? I was kidding, I didn't imagine that could be true! I've gone back and spoiler tagged in case you're serious and Cordeos hasn't caught up on the thread yet.

2 hours ago, Ben X said:

Wait, really? I was kidding, I didn't imagine that could be true! I've gone back and spoiler tagged in case you're serious and Cordeos hasn't caught up on the thread yet.

Nah, I'm fukin with ya. But this would have been better and now when people see what I'm talking about they won't be impressed because their expectations are too high!

😜

Played the first 3 hours last night. I've liberated the town to the south and gotten Nick his plane back. So far, so good! Spotted a few minor bugs, mainly just AI behaving in silly ways(like driving a car into a lake), but nothing game-breaking.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:34 AM, clyde said:

If you are afraid of some legitimately surprising one-offs and one reference amazingly specific to this community on the tutorial-island being spoiled, then it may be urgent for you.

What's the reference? I searched through the bunker and the watchtower but didn't spot anything obvious.

*shakes fist at Clyde*

I'll keep my guess spoilered just in case it happens later in the game.

7 hours ago, Henke said:

Played the first 3 hours last night. I've liberated the town to the south and gotten Nick his plane back. So far, so good! Spotted a few minor bugs, mainly just AI behaving in silly ways(like driving a car into a lake), but nothing game-breaking.

What's the reference? I searched through the bunker and the watchtower but didn't spot anything obvious.

Spoiler

When I went in that fire-tower there was a woman calling over the radio for Henry and talking about all the smoke from the fires. Maybe my imagination is just too active, but I suspect people working on Far Cry are aware of the Campo Santo / Idle Thumbs connection and were nodding at them after all the Far Cry 2 talk.