Jake

Important If True 51: Indistinguishable From The Content

Important If True 51:

Important If True 51

Indistinguishable From The Content
If a book about procrastination that was never finished or published, gets cited in a book about procrastination that sells a million copies, which author did a better job? When you place the final piece in a blank jigsaw puzzle, have you accomplished anything? If your friend or co-host was replaced with a perfect clone, even if you knew it had happened, could you tell the difference? Find out the answer to these and many more important questions, by listening!

Discussed: Getting your hair cut internationally, 1000-piece one-color jigsaw puzzles, encoding a secret conspiracy clue into a blank crossword puzzle, planetwide fractal puzzle solving, Vine, coining a phrase, forming relationships inside The Content, forming a relationship with The Content, convincing Jeff Goldblum he knows Nick Breckon, Jeff Goldcast, 39-year Wax House, Procrastination Through the Ages, the tragedy of self-improving wine, mystery box wine, the Hope/Jobs/Cash tontine

Send us your questions at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Nick's Endorsement: Appreciating the Olympic sport of Curling

Chris' Endorsement: German language Weimer Republic police drama Babylon Berlin (Netflix, original book series

Jake's Endorsement: Improving your Google Image Search results by installing the extension View Image (Chrome, Firefox) and adding the text "-site:pinterest.com" to your search query

Chris' Potential Future Endorsement: Marmite yeast extract

Sponsored By: Quip electric toothbrushes (your first brush head refill free), Edd Miles, Greg Blackburn

Amazing performance by Nick in this episode. I especially enjoyed the parts where Robotnick was left in and hoped he would emulate the fabled Ganon laugh.

Also I should point out that if Jeff Goldblum googles “Jeff Goldblum Nick Breckon” he will find the picture that Nick took of him in the airport.

6 hours ago, Jake said:

Jake's Endorsement: Improving your Google Image Search results by installing the extension View Image (Chrome, Firefox) and adding the text "-site:pinterest.com" to your search query

Thank you. The pinterest thing hasn't been bothering me so much, though knowing that general trick will be useful when a particular site is hogging all the results, but the loss of View Image has been very annoying.

@Chris - I don't know if this is a gateway to Marmite or an advanced enjoyment method, but I like having it with peanut butter on toast. You have to be very sparing with the Marmite, though, otherwise it overpowers the whole thing. Just a swirl on top.

I have to admit the Nick thing threw me off because I started listening more to how the words were delivered. At one point I thought Chris was putting on extra emphasis and wondered if he re-read those lines. It was a pretty good experience.

Also, the premise of that wine question posed immortality, so the idea of Chris being buried and chiding others for opening his wine was slightly more disturbing in my mind.

This episode was fascinating to listen to, but I can't help but long for the alternate universe where the episode begins normally while Chris and Jake's announcement happens at the end, as a grand reveal of what we actually listened to in the episode. Especially since the first actual part of the episode is referencing Nick using the same mic.

But damn, enormous props to Nick on salvaging the podcast!

I'm partway through and I love the little moments when Nick is not overdubbed and Robonick peeks through. Also I'm excited to keep listening because it sounds like they read my wine email.

How much do we have to pay on this patreon thing to have this episode re-released multiple times with professional voice actors reprising the part of Nick

I think since possession of the wine bottle comes with immortality, the sommelier should also be forced to live forever. After thousands of years they might just beg you to drink the wine and free them from the hellish existence that their own genie wish has forced them into. 

Finished listening. Great podcast. Very good endorsements (learning that televised curling mics the players made me want to watch it immediately) and the wine discussion was everything I could've hoped for with that email. Jake's reaction to "Important If Crew" was great.

Chris, one nice thing you can use Marmite for is adding it to stews and other sorts of things that you want to be savory. It's a good way to acclimate yourself to it gently, by introducing some Marmite notes into stuff you're already eating.

With Nick redubbing this episode... I'm very suspicious. He could have subtley changed lines without us ever knowing since we haven't heard the source material.

Have we been Wax House Babied?

Do not go gentle into that marmite.

Just slather it on some toast, along with some butter. It's so good (I usually had Vegemite, because I find the consistency a little more pleasing). It's on the large list of things I had to stop eating when I found out I had celiac disease. The way the yeast is reused from other processes means it's come into contact with things like wheat and barley, and some of that gluten protein survives.

I miss it. I will have to enjoy my autolyzed yeast extract vicariously.

My favorite part of Nick's re-do are the little "ha ha ha"s he redubbed: they somehow manage to feel both flat and overacted at the same time, it's an incredible effect.

Jake's ironic use of "Y'all" to refer to both Chris and Nick - I've been told by multiple southerners that the plural of Y'all is "All Y'all". Real or Wax Housed?

4 hours ago, Halceon said:

@TychoCelchuuu I used the same opener, but they never got past the hello.

At least they got my name right.

Haha yes as I saw the email receding into the distance I was like "they totally forgot about it..."

22 minutes ago, DocRandal said:

Jake's ironic use of "Y'all" to refer to both Chris and Nick - I've been told by multiple southerners that the plural of Y'all is "All Y'all". Real or Wax Housed?

At least in my experience, "all y'all" means "everyone present," as opposed to "y'all" meaning "everyone I'm addressing."

Do you think you're immortal only as long as you have the wine? I feel like it'd take away a lot of the angst & horror that comes with immortality. Plus you'd get to send yourself off with a supposedly excellent wine that you've still somehow not found time to develop the skills to appreciate despite being functionally immortal.

Also just hearing about the marmite experiment at the end here I have a quick suggestion for 2 good marmite snacks, the first is having a thin layer of marmite and buttered toast with slices of fresh tomato on top with a bit of salt and pepper added, the second is another baked toast called a mouse trap where a thin layer of cheese is grated over marmite toast and baked on in an oven. It's not something I make often so I've just found directions online here.

Anyway I just wanted to share this article about a possibly true but likely false story about a cutting edge AI that writes patient notes for doctors by.. emailing and waiting 20 minutes or more for a response.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/the-best-of/06-03-2018/the-mystery-of-zach-new-zealands-all-too-miraculous-medical-ai/

The journo in this article is also the creator of the documentary Tickled which is also a very strange rabbit hole to dive into.

A couple things came to mind when listening to this episode:

1) Anyone else *really* tempted to do a kickstarter for 100 puzzles, 99 of them with 1000 pieces and 1 with 999 pieces? It would be cheapish to pull off, and ...hilarious to actually do?

2) The special bottle of wine sounded to behave essentially like a normal bottle of wine. I guess the only difference is that after a decade or two, "real life wine" stops getting better every year (depending on the wine, etc., etc., etc.). But like, just wait 5-10 years and drink the magic bottle of wine? *shrug* That's what I would do, anyway.

Overall very weird to hear Nick's re-dub. I really kind of wish they never said anything, and just left it seeming sort of uncanny. The few bits of "glitched mic" lines were a nice touch though.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:14 AM, Mawd said:

Anyway I just wanted to share this article about a possibly true but likely false story about a cutting edge AI that writes patient notes for doctors by.. emailing and waiting 20 minutes or more for a response.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/the-best-of/06-03-2018/the-mystery-of-zach-new-zealands-all-too-miraculous-medical-ai/

This is fascinating and maddening. Like, I think it's absurd how easily people can be tricked into believing such incredible bullshit. But I guess that's the central theme of the 21st century. I agree that it's a perfect discussion point for the podcast, and you should send an email!

On 3/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, Mawd said:

We talk about this way too much, on this weeks upcoming episode.