Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Into All The Beaches With So Many Peaches (Into the Breach)

The Steel Judokas are the squad that most desperately requires additional weapons for me. The prime mech especially is just unable to do anything useful so often.

This might be the game that starts me off streaming because I'm playing it all the time anyway, and there's always something interesting to talk about.

Curiously, instead of getting this game I started playing FTL again. Never a bad decision.

On 3/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, Roderick said:

Curiously, instead of getting this game I started playing FTL again. Never a bad decision.

I've certainly enjoyed ITB a whole bunch, but I can say I don't think it has the staying power that FTL did.  It's mechanically so, so good, but it lacks that sense of narrative hook and emergent moments that FTL had in its best times. 

On 3/8/2018 at 12:38 AM, osmosisch said:

The Steel Judokas are the squad that most desperately requires additional weapons for me. The prime mech especially is just unable to do anything useful so often.

The buff that would make the most sense to me would be to give the judo mech the ability to suplex a unit onto another unit, as currently you can only toss then onto an empty space. Even aside from the fact that they are probably the weakest squad (or at least the hardest to use effectively) it would just be a fun ability to use. I would assume they tried the ability and ran into clarity issues (if both units survive the damage it's not clear what spaces they should end up occupying) and while I understand wanting the interface to be as readable as possible I was honestly surprised when that wasn't a thing I could do. From a purely narrative standpoint, if I have a giant mech that can suplex alien bugs I want to be able to suplex a bug onto another bug.

6 hours ago, Cleinhun said:

The buff that would make the most sense to me would be to give the judo mech the ability to suplex a unit onto another unit, as currently you can only toss then onto an empty space. Even aside from the fact that they are probably the weakest squad (or at least the hardest to use effectively) it would just be a fun ability to use. I would assume they tried the ability and ran into clarity issues (if both units survive the damage it's not clear what spaces they should end up occupying) and while I understand wanting the interface to be as readable as possible I was honestly surprised when that wasn't a thing I could do. From a purely narrative standpoint, if I have a giant mech that can suplex alien bugs I want to be able to suplex a bug onto another bug.

I had the exact same thought the first time I took out the judo mech.  It's a strange decision to not have that work, but clarity of UI and expected consequence is almost certainly the reason.  There are possible situations where no outlet exists for a unit to be moved to.  In which case, one of the units should probably just auto-die (which doesn't feel particularly OP given that it requires having a very specific setup to happen). 

Yeah there's just no way to have that ability work in all corner cases if it can land bugs on one another. 

Just beat the game on Normal! B) Was down to 1 Grid Power and 2 mechs by the end, it was quite tense.

On 2018-03-12 at 9:09 PM, Bjorn said:

I've certainly enjoyed ITB a whole bunch, but I can say I don't think it has the staying power that FTL did.  It's mechanically so, so good, but it lacks that sense of narrative hook and emergent moments that FTL had in its best times. 

I hadn't really thought about how it stacks up to FTL, but I think you're right. I really don't find myself caring about my mechs or this story as much as I cared about my spaceship crew in FTL.

I bought it last week and just last night finished the game after two islands!

I was having a good run with the Steel Judokas. The thing that made them click really well for me is caring less about damage and more about moving enemies away from hurting the grid or me. A few times I actually got into good spots by having too many bugs, so they crowded and blocked each other. But also, I did get lucky with some good islands. Everyone had 2 weapons by the end of island 2 and my grid was maxed out, so I just went for it. My punch mech had a great second weapon, which basically did damage to every enemy on the map. It was a good fallback for when I couldn't get the mech into a more useful spot.

I finally picked this up yesterday, it really is so incredibly satisfying to stare at a seemingly impossible situation until you find the perfect solution. I got two wins so far.

The first was a four island clear with the Rusting Hulks aka Vape Squad. I got an extra smoke airstrike for my jet and the leapfrog smoke bomb for my push mech so there was just a ridiculous amount of smoke all over the place.

Got pretty close to beating the game with Blitzkrieg but the grid got destroyed two turns before the end. Kinda miffed that even if you get the building immune upgrade for the electric whip, the macguffin still takes damage from it, makes it very hard to use that mech effectively.

The second clear was with the Zenith Guard, unfortunately I missed a single objective during the first three islands so I didn't get that achievement.

I had my first win yesterday!  4 islands, on normal. 

It was a bit of a surprise - I was replaying with the starting squad to pick up a couple of achievements I had missed, and after I had got those, things were going quite well and just kept going well.  I think the Void Walkers are a lot easier to use now that I have used a couple of other squads and started to grok the game a bit better.  (The pilot that lets you act twice if you don't move certainly helped too.)

Unlocked Blitzkreig and Flame Behemoths after, though I haven't tried them yet. 

I wonder how well this would work as a multiplayer game...  If it was co-op with 2 teams vs Vek, then turn order might get fiddly - either you would have to wait for the Vek & your ally's squads to move before you could, or you'd have to interleave the movements somehow I suppose.  1v1 could work quite well though, one player using the Vek and the other mechs.