Jake

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online February 2018

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online February 2018
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from the Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs soon!

Discussed: B. D. Wong, HPB Wong, The Idle Thumbs Patreon, impressing someone with your cooking ability, impressive cooking disasters, roasting tomatoes, roasting your dad's tomato sauce recipe, climate change, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, only playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis one more time before you die, Positive and Uplifting Internet Content*, ABBA, My Brother, My Brother, and Me, Content ID, how do podcasts use tons of licensed music and not get destroyed?, This American Life uploading their library to YouTube and being Content ID'd into a crater, which podcasts would we guest on and ruin, being one step closer to the grave, lightly roasted coffee, powerfully roasted coffee, :-), brushing your teeth for a week so you don't have to brush your teeth for a long time, teleporting around, good genies vs bad genies, our favorite tiki drinks, the Winter Olympics, StarCraft 2, QWOP

* Positive and Uplifting Internet content: Pepe Silvia w/drums, Nick tries to Ambush Far Cry 2 while Chris Remo plays music, Thru-YOU, Gangnam Style (yeah), Justice DVNO music video, any Vine compilation

The discussion on podcast theme licensing made me think of Turkish Star Wars due to production issues they stole scenes and music from a bunch of movies.

I probably first saw this here, so it might not be new to anyone, but the DVNO video (awesome) reminded me of this also awesome thing, a behind-the-scenes breakdown of that one really iconic HBO dealie:

So fucking dope

21 hours ago, CaptainFish said:

Steamed Hams but it's Nick Breckon making Crème brûlée.

I definitely said "Ye gods! My brulee is ruined!" to myself as I listened to this episode.

The six-ounce Dole cans are a lifesaver to someone who doesn't drink a ton and doesn't want to have to dispose of forty-six ounces of pineapple juice in the week and change before it turns (and bad).  Sure, they're more expensive per-ounce and more wasteful in terms of materials, but six ounces is the perfect amount to make three tiki drinks (or other cocktails that use.pineapple, like the Mary Pickford or the underrated Park Avenue), which is how many you'll make if you make one for yourself, one for your friend or partner, and have enough left over for someone (maybe an interloper) to have seconds.

Also, the Jungle Bird has a really interesting history as a tiki-adjacent cocktail that's since been adopted into the canon.

I think Idle Thumbs would be good on The Flophouse podcast. Watch a bad movie and then get wild on it is right in the Thumbs' wheelhouse.

I guess I'm sorta qualified to answer the "audio in podcast" question, since I work at a radio station that owns a chunk of a podcast network and my job as digital director falls in between both of those things.

First off, radio stations do pay royalties for the songs they play on the radio over the air, but it's as part of a big blanket license where individual songs don't matter. On the other hand, we do pay individually for songs played via internet streaming on a per performance basis. For for instance, if we stream a song and 100 people listen to it, we pay for 100 performances at something like .0001 cents per performance.

Licensing for podcasts, on the other hand, is entirely separate and working for a radio station doesn't figure in at all. We've done a ton of research and there is absolutely no way to license music for your podcast without individually negotiating a deal with the owner of that songs license. There is no ASCAP type license for podcasts, because of the delivery method (ie: they can be streamed or downloaded and there is no way to limit performances or track them.) So effectively, any podcast that uses music is most likely doing it illegally.

Fair use is a potential possibility, but only if you are using the songs for either educational or editorial purposes. So if you did a podcast where you discussed the impact or composition of a certain song, you might be able to get away with it, but fair use is a minefield legally. Any copyright lawyer worth anything would probably not recommend using fair use as your licensing strategy.

Essentially what this boils down to is that if whoever owns the rights to Take a Chance on Me wanted to, they could charge you a fee for using their song during your podcast and can change you a ton for it. You can fight it, but copyright violation lawsuits are pain in the ass to fight and you'd probably just end up settling out of court.

If you think this is super interesting, this article goes into even more detail

Chris mentioning the drummer matching the cadence of a rant makes me think he may enjoy MonoNeon's work. This is one of my favorites.