Jake

Important If True 50: 4468, Y'all

1 hour ago, Jake said:

My initial outburst at the very top of the episode was because I suspected (incorrectly) that you were trying a Slyboots with Y’all... and then Nick caught on and did it himself. I realize that by drawing attention to it, I created it.

Meanwhile though, that was all a distraction: While we were all y’alling, you sprang your real trap, “clam in the beverage.”

Yeah, I fear there's too much.

57 minutes ago, cooljammer00 said:

So you assumed yall was a wax house but then you hoisted yourself.

This is super confusing to an outsider, btw.

While listening to this episode, I did start to consider if making an Important if True wiki would be a good idea.  I've been listening to Thumbs related media since Idle Thumbs Episode 1 and I still get lost among the reference to a reference to a reference (to me to me to me).

3 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

While listening to this episode, I did start to consider if making an Important if True wiki would be a good idea.  I've been listening to Thumbs related media since Idle Thumbs Episode 1 and I still get lost among the reference to a reference to a reference (to me to me to me).

Whenever I get hung up on an Idle Thumbs reference, I usually just have to Google it.

I'm still trying to figure out where "grenade rolling down a hill" originated. They seem to immediately start using it as a reference to something earlier, but I can't find what that original earlier thing is.

3 minutes ago, cooljammer00 said:

I'm still trying to figure out where "grenade rolling down a hill" originated. They seem to immediately start using it as a reference to something earlier, but I can't find what that original earlier thing is.

Just now, Problem Machine said:

I think that one started with Far Cry 2

No, it's a reader mail about Fallout 3, where a misplaced grenade blows up a generator and frees a bunch of super mutants. In the late teens or early twenties, I think?

6 hours ago, Gormongous said:

No, it's a reader mail about Fallout 3, where a misplaced grenade blows up a generator and frees a bunch of super mutants. In the late teens or early twenties, I think?

I remembered it as them reading a reader's story about trying to show his friend how cool Far Cry 2 was, only to die almost immediately by their grenade rolling back down the hill he threw it at.

The extra long shoehorn is actually the best. Absolutely the best. I've had one always since I moved out to my first own apartment ages ago over 15 years ago. I always used to have a plastic one, but those break at some point so some years ago I invested in a metallic long shoehorn. Thanks @Chris for once again bringing the shoehorn up in the endorsements.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:00 AM, Chris said:

I think Jake has an almost violent instinctual reaction to other people trying to introduce phraseology that he perceives as being affected or foreign to the speaker.

I have this with "aye": I find it very irritating when someone uses it instead of "yes" when writing online even though they almost definitely never say it in real life.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:27 AM, Chris said:

Yeah, I fear there's too much.

Though of course, everybody wants some.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:13 PM, Jake said:

YES I was worried I was being Sly Bootsed. 

I read this as "Sly Boosted" and I endorse it as the correct term of art for Chris's shenanigans.

(Linguistically, Sly Bootsed will almost certainly get corrupted to Sly Boosted within a few hundred years anyway, so you might as well get on board with it now.)

On 2/25/2018 at 12:29 PM, Ben X said:

everybody wants some

Geddit?!

Anyway, for David Lynch fans, here's David Lynch Teaches Typing.