coughlinjon

GDC Meetup 2018

Hey, all :)

I'm booking my GDC travel plans and thought I'd start a meetup thread. The Saturday meetup last year was one of the highlights of my trip (until the gin snuck up on me and I slurred my greeting to Jake). 

Anyone interested in getting together again? I might not be around through the Saturday after GDC, so I would prefer to get together during the week if possible :)

Edit: Here are the details!

Official Unofficial Idle Thumbs GDC Meetup 2018

Pagan Idol (thumbs)

375 Bush St (~1 mile from Moscone, 10-15 min walk)

6pm, Friday March 23

Maybe a bit late, but I'd be up for something. It'll be my first time, so I'm on the lookout for less crazy, more chill gatherings.

Agree with you that Saturday wouldn't be the best for me either.

7 hours ago, zerofiftyone said:

I will be around for GDC this year and would love to meet y'all in person!

I'll bring my Shrok mask

Out of town people, what makes the most sense for your trip? (Selfishly putting a priority on the schedules for people who are coming a long way to connect)

We can do an evening gathering, we can do a breakfast, a lunch, a late lunch. This doesn't have to be quite as gin-fueled as it was last year lol.

Also, I saw @Dinosaursssssss post that he's hoping to hit some tiki bars this time around, right? 

So far, I am totally free:

Sun March 18 - all day

Monday - breakfast, lunch

Tuesday - breakfast, evening

Wednesday - breakfast, lunch, evening

I think I'm flying home Thursday, but I haven't purchased my final ticket.

oh yeah I...have been meaning to put something together. The past couple years we've done Saturday night (which'd be the 24th this year), but a good chunk of folks will be gone before then...maybe a pre-GDC meetup (Sunday night?) or mid-week (tuesday??) makes more sense. There is literally no way to encompass everyone so idk what the best time is.

Also yes, I am planning some tiki...adventures. Saturday before I wanna get out of the city a bit and hit up Trader Vics and maybe Forbidden Island, during the week I would like to get to Tonga Room and Smugglers and maybe Pagan Idol. I was gonna just let those happen but maybe it makes sense for me to just declare that I'm doing Tonga Room on Tuesday.

17 hours ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

oh yeah I...have been meaning to put something together. The past couple years we've done Saturday night (which'd be the 24th this year), but a good chunk of folks will be gone before then...maybe a pre-GDC meetup (Sunday night?) or mid-week (tuesday??) makes more sense. There is literally no way to encompass everyone so idk what the best time is.

Also yes, I am planning some tiki...adventures. Saturday before I wanna get out of the city a bit and hit up Trader Vics and maybe Forbidden Island, during the week I would like to get to Tonga Room and Smugglers and maybe Pagan Idol. I was gonna just let those happen but maybe it makes sense for me to just declare that I'm doing Tonga Room on Tuesday.

I am available Sunday night, if that works well for people.

I will plan to meet you at Tonga Room Tuesday - if a couple more people sign onto that, we might have the critical mass to declare it the official Thumbs GDC Meetup 2018 ;)

I get into SF on Saturday afternoon and my schedule is mostly free apart from Sunday and Wednesday evening.

I'd also be up for having a lunch meetup with folks in addition to an evening thing!

I just realized a pal of mine in SFs art show is opening Tuesday night so I should probably go to that instead of drinking out of a *********

Alright here's some thoughts

Saturday night (17th) I wanna do the tiki places that aren't downtown, I think @coaxmetal and/or @jennegatron will join, and that's probably the only time @zerofiftyone will really be able to hang with Jenna since she can't get into the city during the week. Though obv ya'll are adults and don't necessarily need me to organize your hangouts or whatever.

I think for the Official Unofficial GDC Idle Thumbs Community Meetup we should do Friday (23rd) or Saturday (24th) to get out of the way of real industry meetups and stuff.

I also would be down for a casual lunch thing on Mon/Tues/Weds cause it'd be cool for people to connect names/faces early on and see what people are up to the rest of the week. Like just stake a space in Yerba Buena for an hour and get take out from the mall.

1 hour ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

I think for the Official Unofficial GDC Idle Thumbs Community Meetup we should do Friday (23rd) or Saturday (24th) to get out of the way of real industry meetups and stuff.

I'm in favour of doing this on the Friday as I fly out the following day, but we should go with what's most convenient for the group.

4 minutes ago, zerofiftyone said:

Saturday night hang sounds good to me. :tup:

You wear your troll costume, I'll wear my shrok mask :sombrero:

Just now, jennegatron said:

You wear your troll costume, I'll wear my shrok mask :sombrero:

You're crazy if you think I'd be able to get my troll costume past the airport TSA. :P 

alright, callin' it:

Official Unofficial Idle Thumbs GDC Meetup 2018

Pagan Idol (thumbs)

375 Bush St (~1 mile from Moscone, 10-15 min walk)

6pm, Friday March 23

I made a reservation for one of the little huts that seats 8, we'll see how that plays out.

Apologies to folks who can't make it, know that I still love you, event planning sucks <3

8 hours ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

There's also now a GDC channel on the slack so people can coordinate stuff!

Also here's an invite link to the thumbs slack:

https://join.slack.com/t/idlethumbsreaders/shared_invite/enQtMzIyMzUzMjM3Mzk5LTJkYzExZDAxOTMwODdjZWJkNTQxYzY1NzlkYjM1NGU0MmE5YjY1ZGMzNDNlYTkwYTJiZjUwN2VlNWIyYTNmZTc

WOOT!

@zerofiftyone and I got together this afternoon. We talked about doing a lunch this week, too. Hit that channel to keep up :)