Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Weekend February 5, 2018: An Underrated Trek

Idle Weekend February 5, 2018:

Idle Weekend February 5, 2018

An Underrated Trek
This week, we welcome freelance writer Dia Lacina to the Idle Weekend world in order to discuss lesser entries in franchises or series that everyone shits on, but we love them. There’s a whole lot of Star Trek Talk in this one, a serious appreciation for Michael Mann’s Manhunter, and a slew of delicious trashcan eclairs.

Discussed: Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise, The Bourne Legacy, Manhunter, Banjo-Tooie, BioShock 2, Dark Souls 2, Jupiter Ascending, Guardians of the Galaxy, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Bloodborne, Forever Knight, The City in the City by China Mieville, Dark Matter

Man, this show is always eye-opening. Loved the discussion about looking critically at entertainment. I'm totally on the non-critical end of things. I take stories as just stories, and characters' values as just their values, not something that should apply to my life/worldview. But Rob's talk about how cop-shows influence public perception of police rings true. I'm glad someone is looking critically at this stuff. I have a hard time buying that this would be a preferable way of consuming entertainment tho, mostly it just looks like a good way of talking yourself out of enjoying things.