Chris

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruination Online January 2018

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruination Online January 2018
Enjoy this bonus episode drawn from the Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs.

Due to popular demand, we're releasing the audio of that stream to the main podcast feed for easier listening.

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs next week!

Discussed: Wizard Jam, Idle Thumbs co-hosts, starting an independent game studio, guilty pleasure games, Flipflop Solitaire, Magnum P.I., playing Hearthstone single-player content, watching someone play Hearthstone single-player content, Black Mirror, how the internet ruins everything, deactivating your Facebook account, The Black Hole, V.I.N.CENT, Old B.O.B., Maximillian, Sleep No More, The Speakeasy, TV theme songs, the theme from Matlock, the theme from Law and Order, Idle Thumbs recording processes, the awesome folks in the Thumbs community, Idle Chums, keeping fish alive, letting fish die

At the risk of being part of the internet ruining Black Mirror, that discussion was so frustrating. S4.E5, aka Metalhead, is basically every Idle Thumbs robot discussion, the TV show. Watch it!

Was the stick figure Romeo and Juliette thing "The Demented Cartoon Movie"? I was obsessed with that

I'd just like to thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart, for inspiring me to go search "Tide Pods" on Etsy. It kept me and a handful of coworkers entertained and horrified for about a half hour today :P. 

16 hours ago, gormanate said:

Was the stick figure Romeo and Juliette thing "The Demented Cartoon Movie"? I was obsessed with that

I suspect it was Tales for the L33t. If you want to feel super old, you should know that this was made in 2000 - it's almost old enough to attend university.

Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins is my favorite album of the last ten years.

Also the Twin Peaks theme song.

This is incredibly stupid, but I realized today that I have been confusing the Matlock theme song and the Diagnosis Murder theme song for years. Chris's repeated references to the sax make so much more sense now.

The TV theme song question is much harder than I initially thought, as I think we're meant to read between the lines that compositions that didn't originate with the show would be excluded. The one theme that sticks out in my mind is the Fringe theme, which is also a great example of a thing I love: altered theme sequences for special episodes (check out the retro version and the dystopian-future version)

The Fringe opening! The opening itself is a litttle but too much “the x files but full of curious wonder!” for me but I like a lot of the music in that show, and the variant intros are really fun. It was Michael Giacchino for the first few seasons and then Chris Tilton (who did the fantastic score for the new SimCity a few years back) took over and did great work too. 

Long time listener here (I think since episode 1). Just replying to say that I found the discussion around ditching a smart phone was interesting, as I've been toying with that idea for the past year or so myself.

I want something that I can type texts well with. Maybe maps and music as well.

I think I'm either going to get a Zune HD and a candy bar phone, or perhaps an old Windows Phone (version 7) since they're basically feature phones at this point BUT they have a great music/podcast player, maps (and some have good cameras as well).

I'll be curious to know if any of you guys end up doing similar.

If I remember correctly, the Fringe score was never credited solely to Michael Giacchino, it was always him and another guy (could have been Tilton from the start, can't remember). I do know that JJ Abrams wrote the theme music, as he did with Alias and Lost, such as it was (he also whipped up Lost's minimal title sequence on his laptop)

Speaking of theme tunes, I can't believe you almost forget to name Magnum P.I.'s, @Jake! Once they got rid of that duff initial one and repurposed some incidental score into an all-time classic, that is. And speaking of that show, I hope you keep watching it. It gets ever better as it goes on, and has a great cumulative effect where running jokes and references back to old episodes start to layer on top of each other. Dan and Ben's love for Magnum P.I. in BTDT and TGP is very much based on real life! I even have the Magnum theme tune on my gym playlist, and I'm pretty sure I burn double the calories every time it comes on.

Regarding Chris and Nick's reason for their aversion to Black Mirror - overload of hot-takes on the internet - this is a recent phenomenon I find bewildering and frustrating. Bewildering because I never seem to get exposed to stuff like this - I've only ever seen one brony going on about MLP:FIM, and that was within the last month; I'm only vaguely aware that steamed hams is a thing; I've never come into contact with awful Rick And Morty fans. I guess I don't go on the right parts of the internet for that stuff. And frustrating because when I like something, I want more people to talk with about how good it is, so for them to be avoiding because of an annoying small subsection of the fan community (I'm right here not screaming at McDonalds employees or spouting hot-takes!) sucks. So I hope @Chris and @Nick Breckon both watch at least a little Black Mirror (I'd recommend The Entire History Of You as a good starting point, as a few people here bounced off the first episode though I loved it, and the second isn't as representative of the series' tone).

And now, Han Solo P.I.:

And a comparison vid to show off the full ingenuity:

10 hours ago, Ben X said:

If I remember correctly, the Fringe score was never credited solely to Michael Giacchino, it was always him and another guy (could have been Tilton from the start, can't remember).

I think you’re correct, and then he fully took over. 

4 hours ago, thenexus6 said:

Am I dumb or is the Ruination for Feb not showing up on my podcast app?

Its on YT 

It hasn't been posted as a podcast yet but it will be soon.