Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 418: They Are Billions

Three Moves Ahead 418:

Three Moves Ahead 418

They Are Billions
This week Rowan, Fraser, and Troy "Why are you slathering me in zombie-q sauce?" Goodfellow talk about They Are Billions by Numantiam games. Zombies are back, but there are even MORE of them in this Early Access title. They Are Billions is a real time strategy game that has you manning the ballistae and defending your steampunk-ish city against relentless waves of the shambling dead.

They Are Billions

I love the concept of this game and it is exciting that companies are experimenting with single player focused RTS  games rather than focusing only on multiplayer.

However, they successfully hit on my gripe with the game;
8 resources is too many for the elegance of a Starcraft or Command and Conquer style RTS but too few to support things like dependency chains and resources occupying physical space and requiring storage and transport that make economy optimisation interesting a la Settlers 3.
This leaves it in a middle ground where you spend a lot of time building an economy using systems that are not very interesting.

The mini-map pings and warnings about incoming waves also feels very gamey. Take that out and let me create my own early warning system with scouts, lookout towers, spotter balloons etc so that being prepared doesn't only boil down to 'do I have enough soldiers and walls?'.  

I understand Troy's love for PvE last stand games. Those are strategy game that actually have a story, an arc behind them. You're always trying to be ahead of the curve. Even if it's not hard the last wave is the biggest one you see, there's an excitement. All of the tower defense games, Infested Planet, That Starcraft 2 Mission, XCOM (more or less), many military city-builders.

Because all those grand strategy and 4X never work in terms of ending. For every Civilization game that end with a dramatic spaceship start from a besieged city you have a hundred games that have actually ended with a small fight on turn 350 and win through science or culture after 50 eventless turns. And if it was a multiplayer game than everyone will probably realize what's happening around turn 360, write "gg" and leave. Or those Total War winning condition. If you ask me to have 50 provinces than I've become the unstoppable juggernaut when I had 20; my 50th province won't be Rome or Judea or whatever, it will be Somewherestan in a middle of nowhere which I'll casually capture mopping up remains of some broken empire. Again, in Paradox games the game end when you decide it ends so they have that advantage (until Stellaris came and made actual winning conditions the most boring thing).

Saw a good counter-example recently. Disciples 2, an old game in style of Heroes or Warlords. Its campaign is basically PvE. You have to get to a specific point and usually murder some strong army. There are other factions on the map but they sort of don't have any objective, they're just there competing for resources. The capital of any faction usually has insanely powerful guardian, you can't hope to beat it without something spectacular. So your strongest army beats their strongest army and depending on difficulty level they can produce new ones but never as strong as the ones you've beaten because units in this game levelup. So no one can lose until you win: you need to levelup powerful armies to reliably beat whatever comes out of enemy capitals even after they're humiliated. And then you plunder the map to get artifacts and potions to get enough strength to fight mission objective. Usually you don't have lose objective and thus loss becomes anticlimactic and the game in general feels like busywork. You know what happens every time after 2 mission and most of it is a grind.

Seems like controlled environments like this tower defense are the best answer to strategy game story structure problem.

Another installment of "What is new in the world of 'hot new things' video game reviewers got their free Early Access keys for?"

You lost me after 3 minutes. A video clip of the game lost me after 2 earlier this week. Have fun.

See you next time, when you might play something that is a) 'released' as in game developers telling me "this is what we made. I hope it is worth your time" and b ) a ... strategy ... game, beyond Tower Defense SimCity/Settlers with Zombies. No matter how much 'buzz' it got from I don't know who...

It's the hot new thing, and it obviously isn't finished. Last I checked, you couldn't even change the scroll speed, which, like the inability to create a circular patrol route, is bizarre.  I'm not sure the campaign which the developers promise for release will be, or can be, as interesting as the skirmish game, unless they make it a strategic campaign in which you have to expand into new provinces and defend them, just as you expand your base to new choke points and then fortify them in the tactical game.

It's very light and it's a pleasant enough way to pass time. I guess it's popular because it's a new variation on the tower-defense idea, which has been out of fashion long enough for people to enjoy it again.

I was interested in this game and after listening to the podcast, I bought it. Now, I had steeled myself for a tough experience, where I'd first have to cycle through a couple of lost colonies before hitting on a better run. Imagine my surprise when the first game I started has already taken 4+ hours (granted, I pause all the time to digest events and give orders) and has me building and expanding on a pret-ty solid base. I do admit that I tweaked the difficulty setting to the one below standard, but that was based on the information that this game was tough as nails.

Nevertheless, I am enjoying this. Look, I'm not a hardcore strategy person, I just really enjoy this type of game where I am rewarded for turtling the heck up and I can take my time mopping up straggler zombies.

What I like about it so far:

- Upgrading my buildings, rather than having a lot of obsolete early buildings. This makes my colony feel up to date and relevant.

- The thrill of expanding and rushing to get walls up!

- There's a limited number of troops you can build, so I actually know what is most useful to build most of the time.

- "Infected Executive".

What I'm less immediately enthused about:

- The visuals aren't super interesting to watch for hours and hours. Maybe other maps bring more variety.

- I haven't struck out with a group of soldiers yet to explore the map, so I don't know if the game rewards exploration. Maybe in the campaign there will be more incentive to reach out and do stuff on the map.

- Pausing is completely up to you of course, but in trying to make the most out of every situation I am pausing all the time and boy, does a game take a long time because of that. After four hours I'm not even halfway! That's nearing Civ times for a round, and that's crazy considering how much there is in Civ.

I bought this game a week or two the show came out, tried it and returned it to Steam, so I listened with interest. I appreciate what TaB is doing, a lot, actually, but it's not enjoyable to me to use units as defenders and my preferred playstyle in AoE is to skirmish early, not to build walls. There are parts of it I'd like to see as features in another game -- a spiritual successor to Settlers 3, particularly! 

I was glad to hear the panel's thoughts about it, and it's always nice to have Troy back. I like it when the panel ages its opinions a bit before recording an episode about finished games, but with early access, part of the value is playing when everyone else is, and in a defense game before best practices are too well established. I think you all are hitting a nice mix between established and 'hot new thing' strategy titles. 👍