Chris

Important If True 45: Wax House, Baby

On 1/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, SL128 said:

Now that Nick's identity as a saxxer is revealed, I am now requesting that he video call into someone's Far Cry 2 stream and improvise a soundtrack!

Also, how loud are Quips? I have an electric toothbrush that I don't use because it's 79 decibels and extremely distressing.

It is extremely quiet.

I love that last week the Thumbs were joking about how Chris would get hoisted when Nick would come in and talk about the hairdresser telling him the getting-vomitted-on-at-the-Nutcracker story as if it had happened to her.

But then this week you get an email saying that getting-vomitted-on-at-the-Nutcracker happens to everyone.  So yet another urban legend ("urban legends" can be true) that Chris mistook for a unique event he was giving us the inside scoop on.  Although if there's any hoisting, it's more in the general sense of experiencing what you think was some rare unlucky freakish horror and then finding out, no, that just happens to people all the time.  Aaaaaah!

On 1/14/2018 at 1:35 PM, Nappi said:

I'm impressed by how effective the reader's plot to erase an alternative title, they did not like, was. 

Isn't it against the Wikipedia guidelines to erase a documented, cited fact, one you can verify from IMDB and other places, based on nothing but an email read out loud on a podcast?  That's hardly a valid primary source.

It's a shame that "Wax House, Baby" is too fun to say to resist the temptation to keep using it for things that aren't actually Wax House situations, like the end of a podcast.

8 hours ago, Urthman said:

Isn't it against the Wikipedia guidelines to erase a documented, cited fact, one you can verify from IMDB and other places, based on nothing but an email read out loud on a podcast?  That's hardly a valid primary source.

I considered this as well, it seems pretty hasty to revise this based on one e-mail to an oft-hoisted cast. But I guess if the source used to add the fact originally is verifiably false they can remove it.

20 hours ago, Urthman said:

It's a shame that "Wax House, Baby" is too fun to say to resist the temptation to keep using it for things that aren't actually Wax House situations, like the end of a podcast.

This guy gets it. 

Strong episode here.
I think the telepresence robot is what we all need in our lives.

In my mind, the saxophone involved in the Nick Breckon costume to give the maximum effect is not a baritone, but a Contra-bass saxophone:

95af76519994f103bd5d9055e209086c.jpg

During Nick's suggestion about how to stop saying "bro" so much, the longer it went on the stronger my desire became for the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme to start playing in the background. Alas, it was not the case.

I'd also heard about the "paper town" story of Agloe, NY, but I had forgotten about the part where the eventual formation of the town meant they could no longer use it as copy protection in court. Truly a great example of being hoisted by ones own petard. I'm disappointed the Thumbs didn't call it as it is.

The Wax House story is probably the best Wikipedia vandalism story I've ever heard. That guy was a real sly boots.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, RubixsQube said:

This is 10/10. I guess it only worked because Maori pronunciation/syllables and Japanese are so similar to each other.

*a couple of years later...*

So I've been in touch with the good folks at CineAction magazine here in Canada. I am hoping to get my hands on a back order copy of CineAction Issue 68, and will share anything I can here, for posterity.

I was re-listening to this episode a couple weeks ago, and I was bored, and it costs $7 CAD with free shipping so I could not resist.

10 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

*a couple of years later...*

So I've been in touch with the good folks at CineAction magazine here in Canada. I am hoping to get my hands on a back order copy of CineAction Issue 68, and will share anything I can here, for posterity.

I was re-listening to this episode a couple weeks ago, and I was bored, and it costs $7 CAD with free shipping so I could not resist.

So I heard back from CineAction! magazine. The bad news (but also sort of good news*) is that Issue 68 is no longer in print, and they have none in the warehouse (or some guys attic or whatever for all I know). BUT, they did send me a giaaant thread of emails with text, images, and pdfs of each set of pages.

I present to you all, Page 8 of CineAction! Magazine, Issue 68:

CineAction!_Magazine_Issue68_Page8.thumb.jpg.1bdb8ae670e94ae60b1f5422861da3f0.jpg

Sadly, no interview with Joel Silver. I also did a full search on all the text in the email thread for keywords (silver, wax, house, and baby) and found no matches.

(*the sort of good news here is that the mystery remains somewhat alive. I presume the scans I got are authentic, but without an original printed hard copy, I can't be 100% sure that the content is reliable...but it probably is. Maybe the gentlemen from CineAction! is in on the gag)

Made this account just now to post the following after I saw the above posted to Twitter:

Many moons ago (Feb 2013) a few weeks after the Wax House episode I decided to look up CineAction as I live in the Toronto and thought I could get my hands on a copy of the issue in question. 

Needless to say it wasn’t easy so I opted to order the back issue seeing as it was only $7. But in reality I didn’t want to get the magazine, I wanted Important If True to have it so I shipped it directly there. 

I should of sent an email saying something was coming but I also wanted it to be a surprise and then the show soon went on definite hiatus and I just forgot about it until now.

I feel like with their move from San Francisco that it may of got lost in the shuffle but maybe, just maybe, there’s still a chance an elusive copy of CineAction 68 waits patiently in their P.O. Box. Anyway attached is the email confirmation as proof. 

E30BA463-D71B-461C-A6C7-C78E0447179A.jpeg

10 hours ago, EggDog said:

I feel like with their move from San Francisco that it may of got lost in the shuffle but maybe, just maybe, there’s still a chance an elusive copy of CineAction 68 waits patiently in their P.O. Box. Anyway attached is the email confirmation as proof. 

This is a very exciting prospect indeed