Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Favorite/Best Game Trailers

This is an interesting topic because I'm really picky about game ads not portraying gameplay footage. I understand why this is, that you want to sell a dream if the product isn't beautiful by mainstream marketing standards. The above Mario 3 TV spot is my favorite weird ad like that.

I like this ad because it's more about what the game is. But like this is obviously the exact point Tom Francis is getting on with with his marketing style, focusing on gameplay instead of lifestyling.

i really love this song and i really love dropsy the clown and i really love that trailer says a lot thematically about what the game is about! there is no words, written or spoken in the entire game, and this gives you an amazing primer on what to expect

Hadn't seen those Stanley Parable and Dropsy trailers before, good stuff!

Here are my awards for the best trailers.

Best "90's newscast babble" award goes to:

Best "Lynchian children's cartoon" award:

Best "faux-Werner Herzog" award:

Most Smoove award:

The Cultural Contribution Award (for making sure every trailer had dubstep in it for the next couple of years):

Bennett Foddy's "Getting Over It" is my favorite game trailer of 2017.

But also, I love that Syndicate one. I think that was my intro to dubstep, certainly to Skrillex. It's an amazing cover of the little music loop from the original game, and the trailer is edited so well to it.

Yesterday's announcement that Mew-Genetics is uncancelled reminded me of its weird-ass teaser:

I remember being really intrigued by the tone and art style of Deus Ex: Human Revolution cinematic trailer a lot when I first saw it.

(I liked the "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" quote a lot more when I didn't know it was a Lostprophets single.)

Another great Hitman Trailer, I really like how little dialog there is

This GORN Trailer is a lot of fun

I like how that room in the Gorn trailer is full of hip nerd stuff. Persepolis, Maus and Watchmen! Black Cobra poster! Famicom console! Cacodemon plushy! Adventure Time skateboards!

1 hour ago, Ben X said:

I like how that room in the Gorn trailer is full of hip nerd stuff. Persepolis, Maus and Watchmen! Black Cobra poster! Famicom console! Cacodemon plushy! Adventure Time skateboards!

I think they put that stuff there specifically to get smashed, considering they call out the team picture and the portrait of their dog getting smashed in the behind the scenes.

Well yeah, I figured it was all production-designed to within an inch of its life, that's why I found it amusing!

No trailer has ever gotten me as excited for a game's release as this GTA V trailer: 

It's just perfect, the way they play off of the song to build it up and the small pieces of info you can gleam about the plot. I've watched it so many times.

I'm biased because this is one of my favourite games of all time, but I like the trailer for the Pathologic Classic HD version: it's long, and all atmospheric scenery + intriguing soundtrack and shows very little of the actual protagonists, focusing instead on the setting, which is arguably the main character of the entire thing. And it pretty much tells you nothing about the gameplay, but it definitely sets the right tone:

Also, the trailer for Getting Over It is absolutely brilliant, I love it!

I read in an EGM that George Romero directed the commercial for Resident Evil 2 and I taped it off TV and watched it about 8 times in a row. I was so psyched about both Romero and that game. It wasn't until years later that I learned that he directed some Japanese-only commercials and the North American commercials were just hastily chopped together from that footage.

And the NA counterpart:

"THERE'S SOMETHING REALLY WRONG HERE." really creeped me out and I built this game into something so crazy in my head. Watching it again gives me real intense flashbacks to being 11 again.

The only trailers I remember watching repeatedly date from around 1999, when playing video files from magazine cover disks or even downloading them was still a novelty.

The Perfect Dark trailer sticks strongest in my mind because I was so looking forward to the game:

Wow, terrible. I don't recall if I ever thought this was cool, but I'm sure glad times have changed.

System Shock 2's trailer is mostly just the intro cinematic, but I think that part at least holds up pretty well. There's something about the constant background hum in this and the Thief games that really makes them stick in my mind as places, and that sound design carries over to the cinematics:

This is more of a gameplay preview, but I remember watching the Commandos 2 trailer with a friend and getting very excited by the seemingly endless possibilities it promised:

This one just did such a good job of showing off the animation and world. So much better than the main cinematic trailer:

The banging Kraftwerk remix really helps this one, which was the reason I got a PS3:

Also:

To me the game was a step down from its predecessors (I'm a big fan of SH 1-3) and some of the gameplay footage looks quite awkward - but parts of this Silent Hill 4 trailer still feel interesting and I remember being super excited when I first saw it.