Sign in to follow this  
Comrade Werewolf

[released] Cavorting Amongst the Corpses

Just thought I'd make a quick thread for my game before Showcase Weekend. No screenshots or game footage unfortunately because my computer shit the bed the very next day after submitting :(

Cavorting Amongst the Corpses is a basic platformer where my design focus was mainly on combat and enemy behavior. In a system inspired by Viewtiful Joe, enemies will telegraph whether their attack will be high or low, and you'll have to block accordingly in order to stun them and counter attack. There are four enemy types, each with a unique twist.

A boss battle was cut for time, so the game doesn't really have an ending. This is my first jam game, and I hope people will enjoy and leave plenty of feedback.

Game located here: https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-6/rate/210893

My computer also got a little dicey towards the end, but survived. Glad you got to submit. I will try to play soon once Charter gets their act together and I can download stuff again.

I just played it and was surprised that there are actually some "deeper" combat mechanics, especially for a first jam game! I enjoyed it, although I died a lot :)

I died often because I couldn't really tell if there was a high or low attack coming, but that can also totally be a failure on my side. I'm usually really bad at games like this...

Good job!

I liked the block and counter attack cycle of the gameplay, and having two different blocks was a good way to make things more interesting. I found some of the archer placements quite rough especially because the timing window was so small. The character animations worked really well in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback! In watching a few people play, I'm realizing that the blocking system isn't as clear as I thought it would be. I added an explanation in the description that hopefully clears things up a bit.

By the way, here's where I shamelessly ripped the combat from ( skip to 6:38)

This game seems pretty cool but it's brutally hard! Maybe start by teaching the blocking mechanic before you give the combo tutorial? I couldn't even pull off a combo without the enemy hitting me between attacks until I had learned how to block.

I really like the animations though!

The idea behind that first enemy was to demonstrate just how inefficient it is to just hack wildly, so when you learn to counter with the next enemy, you think "oh, that was so much easier. I should do that every time." 

In retrospect, I can see what a dick move that was and shouldn't have been designed that way. There's a lot of small adjustments I'm dying to make but I'm unfortunately still without a computer :(