Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

AGDQ 2018

Yep, that one works. Added the Bloodborne & Dark Souls 3 runs which are good and pretty much the only games I remembered to watch live.

I added the Link to the Past Randomizer Swordless race to the playlist.  That was an amazing run to watch.  The randomizer is a mod that takes all the items in LttP and shuffles their locations.  This means that there's no set route and your ability to get to any specific part of the game hinges on finding the right item.  As a result it requires an immensely detailed knowledge of the game to know where you can and can't go as well as a large number of tricks and glitches.  The two runners used the same seed so both their worlds were the same but since neither one knew where anything would be their paths through the game diverged greatly.  They also couldn't see or hear each other so as not to reveal item locations.  Towards the end they were literally half a screen apart.  It was a fascinating thing to see.  Good commentary too.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:22 AM, Merus said:

I did like the comment I saw from one of the Vlambeer guys that said that he'd really like it if GDQ players would stop sarcastically saying that the game was well-programmed when they exploited a bug.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:40 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

I also wish they would cut way down on the use of "HYPE!".  I get it, that's a thing the internet likes to say but GDQ says it so much more that it's often unbearable.

Nick endorsing the Strider speedrun on the IIT cast reminded me to catch up on this. I just watched the Jedi Knight Academy and Opposing Force runs amongst others, and I think the quotes above could be expanded out to "I wish the runners, commentators, donators and viewers would stop trying to be funny."

Apart from that, some very cool speedruns!

Not in my case; there are some extremely charming runners who hang jokes off the precise timing of their runs. One of the Zelda speedruns continually deadpanned that their tremendously broken route through the game was in fact intentional on the part of the developers.

Sorry, I mispoke; I wasn't inferring that from your quotes. I meant to agree with them and say that I personally would expand them out...